Friday, February 6, 2009

Inspired by: Jane Austen

I have to confess, I love Jane Austen. I love her novels, I love the movies based off her novels, and I can really relate to her characters. So, because I'm sick, under the influence of cold medicine, and with way too much time on my hands, I thought I'd put together an outfit inspired by one of my fav Austen heroines, Elizabeth Bennett, as played by Keira Knightley.


She's a little bit bohemian, a little bit romantic, and feminine in a very minimalist way.

DVF Kittine Dress, $445 at dvf.com, Rag and Bone Cardigan, on sale for $110 at shopbop.com
Joie Sandals, $245 at shopbop.com


I picked the DVF dress because it's really an outfit itself, you just throw it on and look pulled together, which is very Elizabeth Bennett. The shape of the dress is pretty modest, but the ruffle and the sheerness by the neckline make it a little playful. Plus the chiffon is flowy and easygoing, but not too girly. I added the cardigan because Pride and Prejudice is set in England, and England is, well, cold. The streamlined sandals are practical and ground the outfit.

3.1 Phillip Lim Ballerina Dress, $775 at cusp.com, Christian Louboutin Very Croise Platform Slingback, $770 at neimanmarcus.com


I can't even put into words how much I love this dress. It's freaking gorgeous. Phillim Lim is genius. I feel like this works for Elizabeth Bennett because it's a little bit sexy, but not at all skanky, and while the dress itself is simple, the neckline makes a statement and draws the eye upwards. It's elegant, but it has attitude. I like the black pumps because they're classic, but young, and have a little bit of an edge to them, just like Elizabeth.

If you can't tell, I reallllly want that outfit. Are you listening Santa? Yes, I'm starting my Christmas list ten months early. I like to be prepared.

Image Sources:
Keira Knightley: movies.yahoo.com
DVF Dress: dvf.com
Rag and Bone Cardigan: shopbop.com
Joie Sandals: shopbop.com
Phillip Lim Dress: cusp.com
Christian Louboutin Platforms: neimanmarcus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails