Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Eco Beauty

I'm all about using environmentally products whenever I can. I took environmental science, I known all about how disgustingly big my carbon footprint is, and I'm working on reducing it. That doesn't mean I'll sacrifice performance or results for something just because it's eco-friendly, however. I'd love to use all eco-products, but the technology for some things, for instance a lot of makeup, just isn't quite up to scratch yet. But some eco-friendly makeup and beauty products are definitely just as good as their regular counterparts, and I've rounded up a couple that I like to use here. Not all the companies are organic, but at the very least they're mostly natural, cruelty free, and very environmentally friendly.

Beauty Products:

Alba Hawaiian Sunscreen SPF 30+, Green Tea, $9.19 at drugstore.com
I use this every day. It's the only sunscreen that doesn't irritate my skin on Retin-A. It's waterproof, non-greasy, effective, and smells like watermelon. What more could you want from sunscreen?


Tom's of Maine Natural Long-Lasting Deodorant Stick in Apricot, $4.39 at drugstore.com
I seriously suggest using all-natural deodorant. There's been a strong link between the aluminum in normal deodorant and breast cancer, and it can also cause painful cysts (gross, but true) because the aluminum can build up and your body has no other way to get it out. Unless you sweat heavily all the time, natural deodorant is just as effective as regular deodorant. This goes on clear, smells amazing, and keeps me sweat-free all day.


Tom's of Maine Whole Care Toothpaste in Peppermint, $3.99 at drugstore.com
I prefer natural toothpaste because it's actually going in my mouth, and the less chemicals I have to ingest, the better. If you're used to regular toothpaste, this takes some getting used to. The flavor is much more subtle, but I think it's yummier, and this stuff is just as good at getting your teeth clean as Crest or other brands.


Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner, both $8.24 at drugstore.com. The sulfate and parabens in regular shampoo and conditioner go straight into the ocean through our wastewater and can wreck havoc on aquatic ecosystems. Switch to an equally effective natural shampoo or conditioner and save a dolphin! PS: no sulfate means less suds. So even though your shampoo won't lather, your hair's still getting clean.


Makeup:

Korres Lip Butter in Pomegranate, $9 at sephora.com
I use this every day. It tastes just like pomegranate, leaves a lovely pink tint on your lips, and conditions nicely. Plus the packaging is adorable, and from Greece.


Tarte Natural Beauty Cheek Stain, $28 at sephora.com
This is perfect for the low-maintenance, natural beauty look. Just dab some on your lips and cheeks in the morning, and it'll give you a flush that'll last all day. And you get a huge amount of product for the price. I've had mine for almost two years, and I've managed to use about a quarter of it.


Cargo Plantlove Eye Shadow, $20 at sephora.com
I've never use this, but I've heard great things about it. It comes in a huge array of colors, and not only in the compact biodegradable, but the box it comes in is full of wildflower seeds. Plant it, and you'll get some gorgeous flowers in a few months--so creative!


Korres Eyeshadow, $16 at sephora.com
I love the mod look of this compact. You get a lot of product for a good price, it comes in gorgeous colors and finishes, and again, you can say you got in it Greece (Korres is a Greek brand). That makes it totally worth it.


Image Sources:
Alba Sunscreen: drugstore.com
Tom's Deodorant: drugstore.com
Tom's Toothpaste: drugstore.com
BWC Shampoo: drugstore.com
BWC Conditioner: drugstore.com
Tarte Cheek Stain: sephora.com
Korres Lip Butter: sephora.com
Plantlove Eye Shadow: sephora.com
Korres Eye Shadow: sephora.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails