Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's Not Me, It's You

I can't pretend to be any musical expert here (I have like 300 hundred songs on my iPod, fail) but I like music. When I get excited about a new band/song/album, I have impulse control issues and have to share it with everybody. And since I'm home alone, I'm sharing it with you guys! Be afraid.

I'm officially obsessed with Lily Allen's new CD, It's Not Me, It's You. No, seriously. It's fabulous. First, how cute is the album cover? It's self-centered in the most adorable way. As for the songs, I think they're even better than what's on her first album. It's a little less reggae/caribbean influenced and a little more synth/poppy, with a dash of banjo and gypsy. Yes, gypsy. Trust me, it works. The album just came out on iTunes yesterday, and if you're like me and never buy whole albums, you should definitely buy these songs:

The Fear--this is the official album single, and I love it. It's a light and airy pop song, with a darker twist in the lyrics (classic Lily Allen). The video is a fab, cotton candy explosion. Watch here.
Everyone's At It--a little less upbeat than the first, but seeing as it's about everyone abusing and misusing drugs, it's sort of unavailable. It has a good beat and a catchy chorus.
Chinese--this is my favorite song on the album. It really showcases Lily Allen's dreamy voice, and makes the most mundane thing, eating Chinese food on a couch with her boyfriend, into a song that will be stuck in your head for days.
22--again, she takes a depressing theme, how youth-obsessed our society is, and turns it into a bright, catchy song with clever, relatable lyrics.
Not Fair--this is my second favorite. One, it has a banjo solo. Enough said. Two, it's about how much her bf sucks in bed. Hilarious.
Never Gonna Happen--this is where the gypsy music comes in and really makes the song. She makes the messy process of getting rid of an ex-bf sound pretty. That's talent.

Image Sources:
Cover: wikipedia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails