Monday, March 9, 2009

Paris Round-up #3

So Paris Fashion Week is still going strong, and I'm still thinking up schemes to sell my liver on the black market for tickets to Miu Miu or Chanel. I mean...I would never think about doing something that crazy...not even for all the pretty clothes...you only need half a kidney right?

All Emanuel Ungaro. Ungaro was fantastic. Lots of tight, body-con ruched/wrapped detail mini dresses covered with cropped blazers or motorcycle jackets. It's a totally basic, not all that groundbreaking look, but the little details made it stand out, like the knotted scarves and the fantastic shoes. And I'm in love with that LBD. The sculptural gathers/pleating with the pink underneath reminds me of a much more wearable version of the detailing at Jil Sander. Since the Jil Sander show is where fashion is heading, you could totally buy this dress (which would be cheaper) and wear it for a long time. And look good doing it.


Sonia Rykiel, Sonia Rykiel, Dries Van Noten. Sonia Rykiel never disappoints. There was the usual display of quirky, cozy knits, but the show ended with some fantastic red carpet worthy gowns. The combination of that sleek, draped jersey dress with that (faux?) fur stole is this great mix of old-school Hollywood glam and modern goddess that I need to be wearing right now. And how gorgeous is that sequin column dress? The cut is so relaxed and easy-going, but the multi-colored sequins and crystals are so effortlessly chic. Over at Dries Van Noten, the color combinations were amazing, as usual. I mean, pale pink. orange, and grey is not something I'd ever think of, and yet it looks so quirky and so right.


Sophia Kokosalaki
, Andrew Gn, Andrew Gn. Sophia Kokosalaki is one of my favorite designers. She can be a little out there at the time, but I go back and look at her shows a few months later and am completely blown away. This sheer black dress reminds me a bit of Nina Ricci with the curving, serpentine detailing, but in a very daytime/cocktail appropriate way. Andrew Gn does the most gorgeous gowns, and this show was no exception. The subtle pleating and gathering on the middle dress is the kind of small detail that elevates an entire look, and I love the sheer portrait collar neckline! And how beautiful is that blue gown? It kind of reminds me of Kate Winslet's YSL Oscar dress, but prettier (sorry Kate). The draping is impeccable, the color is cheerful but not too bright, and the belt and shoulder detail add just the right amount of visual interest.


Image Sources:
Emanuel Ungaro: style.com
Sonia Rykiel: style.com
Dries Van Noten: style.com
Andrew Gn: style.com
Sophia Kokosalaki: style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails