Friday, March 6, 2009

If You Buy One Thing

I'm sure you've heard all about wardrobe classics, but if you're like me, you kind of nod your head and then it goes straight in one ear and straight out the other. I mean, it's hard to save up for the perfect LBD when you walk into Forever 21 and see bright, cheap, fashion forward clothes everywhere. But my New Year's resolution was to stop buying disposable fashion, and I'm on a mission. One of the top items on my list? A trench coat. If that sounds cliche, irrelevant, or boring to you, bare with me.

First off, if you think you live somewhere too hot for a trench coat, you're wrong. I live in SoCal. It's been 50 degrees for the last two weeks. I would really appreciate a trench right now. Also, trenches are not that warm. They're essentially heavy raincoats, it's the optional inserts that make them warm. That makes them perfect for any climate, because they should be waterproof, and can adjust to warmer or cooler locations.

Now, if you think trenches are boring and old-ladyish, you've got another think coming (yes, I just quoted To Kill a Mockingbird, I'm tired, humor me). Trenches have stuck around for the last hundred or so years because the design is timeless for any age. Just look at Catherine Deneuve in Belle du Jour or Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. They were both young actresses playing a prostitute and a party girl. Not exactly frumpy characters. And if that doesn't convince you, I've seen countless trenches appear on Gossip Girl.

Trenches are fantastic because they instantly pull an outfit together. Put a trench over a tee and jeans, and you've got a chic weekend outfit. Put a trench over a cocktail dress, and you can go anywhere. Plus, they're also perfect for the morning walk of shame--button up a trench over last night's party dress, and no one has to know that you haven't changed. And trenches don't have to be Burberry expensive. I wouldn't recommend getting one at Forever 21 or H&M, because the buttons will start falling off, threads will come out, etc., but there are affordable trenches to be found. For longevity, stick to neutral colors, but there are adorable metallic and bright colored trenches to be found as well--stick with whatever fits your personal style.

Paul & Joe Double-breasted Trench, $210 at net-a-porter.com


Audrey is rocking that trench, and in the rain too. That takes skill.

Image Sources:
Trench: net-a-porter.com
Audrey: fanpop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails