Thursday, April 9, 2009

I'm Having a Howard Hughes Moment

I'm in the middle of another fashion obsession: the aviator jacket. Or, more accurately, a combination of a Howard Hughes style aviator jacket and a motorcycle jacket. It's cropped, fitted, and has a wide collar, often with a fur or shearling trim.

Balenciaga Fall 2004: This aviator/motorcycle jacket was all over the fall runways, and it was definitely inspired by the Balenciaga Fall 2004 collection. Models have been sporting these jackets on the streets all over the place. My favorite's on the far left, but look at the middle pic. That's Karolina Kurkova! In a Balenciaga show! Weird.


Vena Cava, Roberto Cavalli, Rue du Mail: Here are some shots from the Fall 2009 shows. I think the Vena Cava jacket is the most 'aviator,' but I love the dramatic collars at Cavalli and Rue du Mail. It's such an effortlessly chic but slightly badass look.


Hermes, Catherine Malandrino, Antonio Berardi: These three are the most like what I'm looking for. The Hermes and Malandrino jackets are the perfect mix of aviator and motorcycle, and I feel like this is such a classic look. Any one of these jackets would be an investment you could sport for years (I mean, the aviator thing started almost 100 years ago, and is still strong today--hello, Top Gun). My favorite jacket is from Antonio Berardi. I love the drama of the black suede with the shearling lining spilling out. It's very simple, but has a bit of an exotic vibe. I just want that jacket so. badly. I actually dreamed about it last night. Sadly, I'm not kidding.


I've having some trouble tracking down an actual buyable version of this look. So far all I've turned up are reproductions of WW-II aviator jackets, which are cute, but not quite what I'm looking for. eBay's not helping all that much eBay. I don't know what to do. My Googling has gone to unhealthy heights here! I'll update you guys if there's any progress, but it's looking pretty dim.

Image Sources:
Hermes: style.com
Vena Cava: style.com
Rue du Mail: style.com
Robert Cavalli: style.com
Catherine Malandrino: style.com
Antonio Berardi: style.com
Balenciaga: style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails