Thursday, April 2, 2009

Collegiate Chic

I have college on the brain (to be fair, I think every high school senior does). Of course, I'm not as focused on college itself as much as what I'll be wearing at college. You heard me. The wardrobe comes first. Anyways, all of this college stuff got me thinking about what we call 'collegiate chic.' It's that look that's a combination of Ralph Lauren preppy, retro, globally inspired, and a teensy bit of trendy/hipster. Since it's me, I had to put together an outfit for this look, so here's my take on collegiate chic.

Silence & Noise Fleece Motorcycle Jacket, $68 at urbanoutfitters.com, Elizabeth and James Cohen Shirt, $225 at shopbop.com, 7 for all Mankind Jeans, $168 at shopbop.com. I think the fleece motorcycle jacket is the perfect 'collegiate chic' jacket because it's got a bit of an edge, but it's super practical and it's super comfortable. It's like an amazingly chic sweatshirt. The button-up shirt is like the epitome of college girl style--very preppy and classic, but a little cheeky in that it's also a riff on a boyfriend shirt. I added the jeans because they're definitely a college staple, but a good pair of jeans can take you anywhere and work with almost any outfit. They're simultaneously casual and pulled-together.


Frye Engineer Boot, $198 at shopbop.com, Juicy Couture Striped Cotton Scarf, $75 at shopbop.com, Rebecca Minkoff Nikki Bag, $595 at shopbop.com. I'd style this outfit with these Frye boots because they add the hipster element, but they're also a little retro (very 70's college girl, no?) and very practical for sloshing around in nasty weather. The scarf gives it a bit of a boho/world-traveller vibe, which is important because colleges can be international crossroads, and I think the quissential college girl is inspired by other cultures. I love this giant bag because it's a little slouchy and casual, but it's gigantic enough to hold textbooks, clothes, food, and whatever else you could need.


It's pulled together and very classic, but a little quirky at the same time. Hm. Now I want this outfit.

Image Sources:
Silence & Noise Jacket: urbanoutfitters.com
Elizabeth and James Shirt: shopbop.com
7 Jeans: shopbop.com
Frye Boots: shopbop.com
Juicy Couture Scarf: shopbop.com
Rebecca Minkoff Bag: shopbop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails