Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Summer Styling

Whenever summer rolls around and temperatures start rising, I automatically start craving sundresses. I live in jeans for months and months and don't even reach for skirts, but when May hits, I have to have dresses and I have to have them now. I tried the vintage sundress thing, but they are surprisingly harder to track down than I thought, so for now I'm scouting out new, retail options. And just for fun, I threw in how I'd style them too.

Twenty8Twelve Dorris Dress, $290 at shopbop.com, Twenty8Twelve Brigitta Dress, $250 at shopbop.com, Diane von Furstenberg Chiffon flutter sleeve dress, $445 at net-a-porter.com: This first dress is the edgier, slightly fashion forward option. It's hard to see, but the florals are really pixellated, so it's not the run of the mill floral print. The babydoll shape is balanced out nicely by the scoop neck and the mini-length, and the ruffles are just so darn cute. The middle dress is for the minimalists. It's super-basic, but the shape is so feminine and slightly retro-chic that it's anything but boring. It looks like a vintage find, but comes in modern sizes! Always a plus. That last dress is my favorite. It's very boho/hippe/romantic, and the way the print fades down the skirt is so gorgeous. And all that chiffon would move so well! Drool. How can you go wrong with DVF?


Alkemie Jewelry Buddha Chain Rosary Necklace, $209 at shopbop.com, Kate Spade Bette Flat Gladiators, $225 at shopbop.com, Rebecca Minkoff Nikki Hobo, $595 at shopbop.com: Since sundresses are inheritely girly, I like to style them with edgier, earthier acessories. I'm in love with this wooden necklace. It's quirky, and it looks like you picked it up in Katmandu. Plus, you could double-loop it for an easy-going, insouciant look. These studded gladiators would anchor the dress nicely, but they aren't so in-your-face-gladiator that they come across as overly trendy, and I like the juxtaposition of the textured leather and shiny studs. Throw on a slouchy, chocolately hobo to tone down the hippie factor (and for practicalness!), and you're good to go.


The problem with writing these posts is that I always end up wanting all the stuff. No bueno. Especially that necklace and that bag. Oh dear.

Image Sources:
Twenty8Twelve Dorris dress: shopbop.com, Twenty8Twelve Brigitta dress: shopbop.com, DVF dress: net-a-porter.com, Alkemie necklace: shopbop.com, Kate Spade sandals: shopbop.com, Rebecca Minkoff bag: shopbop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails