Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Met Gala Round-up

Alright, so here are the people that I missed in last night's round-up:

Kate Hudson looks stunning in Stella McCartney. Her hair and makeup are low-key and relaxed, but polished at the same time, and I love her simple metallic eye and loose waves. And that dress--I die. Twice. It's sexy and definitely a statement, but not at all over the top. Unlike Stella McCartney's spandex lace jumpsuit. Sigh. Diane Kruger looks adorable (maybe a little too adorable) in Chanel. It's a little on the cutesy/little girl side, but her messy updo keeps it from being too sweet. I love Jessica Alba's Jason Wu frock. I even love her braided updo, emerald earrings, and the contrasting accent of the pink clutch. She's even smiling! I could have done without the tights though. Chanel Iman is working it in Zac Posen. The simple accessories keep the leopard print from crossing the line into tacky, and that dress is so flattering.


Alex Wek is drop dead gorgeous in fuschia/purple. I love the hue against her dark skin, and I love how she keep jewerly to a minimum to highlight the knotted detail on the dress. Selma Blair looks teensy in Marc Jacobs! She's so little! That said, I kind of like it. Surprisingly, the sheer one-sleeve thing isn't bothering me, and the stud/bead detail on the dress is cute. Something's a little off (I think it's the hair), but overall I like it. As for Paulina Porizkova in Halston...um, no. Just no. It's dowdy, it's unflattering, it's an odd color, and she could do so, so, so much better.


My favorites: Kate Hudson (above), Kate Bosworth, Kate Beckinsale (lots of Kates!), Bee Schaffer. I like Kate Hudson because the look is very true to her and her personality ('70s boho goddess), Kate Bosworth is drop-dead chic and very on-trend--plus she looks healthy and I love her hair, Kate Beckinsale's Marchesa is absolutely stunning, and Bee Schaffer's Nina Ricci is, well, Nina Ricci. I wish the boobage was less awkward, but the rest of the dress, with the corset bodice and cutaway skirt, is amazing. Oh, and I did I mention that it's Nina Ricci? I love Olivier Theyskens to death.


Trends: Mini-minis, Nudes, Metallics, Togas: It seems like there were WAY more minis than floor-length gowns this year (see Madonna, Rachel Bilson, Kate Moss, Jessica Stam, etc, etc). Personally, I like it. It seems less stuffy than usual. Nude/cream/beige gowns were also a big hit, a la Marion Cotillard, Eva Mendes, and Jessica Stam, which probably stems from the abundance of nudes on the Spring/Fall runways. Togas were also prevalent, mainly on Kate Moss and Victoria Beckham. I'd choose a less literal interpretation for real-life, but the whole Grecian/one-shouldered thing is actually a really great, spring appropriate look. Maybe skip the turban, though. Lastly, metallics were huge. One thing to keep in mind is that when you've doing a statement finish like a metallic, do it with a simpler dress (like Agyness Deyn) rather than a more complicated, fussy piece like Molly Sim's mini dress. That's a whole lotta look.


Image Sources:
Kate Hudson: fabsugar.com, Jessica Alba: fabsugar.com, Diane Kruger: fabsugar.com, Chanel Iman: fabsugar.com, everyone else: nymag.com/daily/fashion

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails