Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Things I Can't Afford and Roses

I hope y'all had a fab 4th of July weekend!  I took the lazy way out and didn't blog yesterday because it was a federal holiday.  Also because I got distracted by a Pirates of the Caribbean marathon.  But that's beside the point.  Over the weekend I rounded up a ton of gorgeous and totally unaffordable things that I thought I'd share with you all.


Acne Velocite Oversized Shearling Aviator Jacket, $2,250 at net-a-porter.com, Burberry Shearling-lined Aviator Jacket, $3,595 at net-a-porter.com: I literally shrieked when I saw these shearling jackets today.  They remind me of this Balenciaga collection, and they have this casually luxurious vibe from the retro aviator cut and the insanely plush shearling.  I am probably the worst vegetarian ever, but I want to live in these jackets, both of which will inevitably look terrible on my body type (oversized jacket + actual chest = not cute).  Since I could never afford these, though, I'm just gonna wear these in my daydreams.  Because I daydream about clothes.  I actually had a dream about shoes last night, and it was weirdly stressful.  I'd pair these with a dark wash straight leg jean, tucked into an equestrian-inspired pair of leather boots with a thin, slightly drapey white tee on underneath. 


Alexander McQueen Knuckle Duster Box Clutch, $2,295 at net-a-porter.com, Christian Louboutin Clou Noeud 150 Studded Slingbacks, $1,195 at net-a-porter.com: I have to be honest, I've never been a fan of the previous incarnations of the McQueen knuckle duster clutch.  There's something about this one, however, that gets me.  The delicate tension between the skull-studded knuckle duster and Victorian lace body keeps this piece from just being edgy and makes it dynamic and almost elegant.  These shoes belong on my feet.  Louboutins--check.  Peep-toe slingbacks--check.  Bows--check.  Studs--check.  It sounds like too much, but it totally works.  I mean, if anything is a statement shoe, this is IT.  These would work equally well with jeans on the weekend as they would with a gown on the red carpet.


Mulberry Hayden Tote, $950, Juicy Couture Shine on Juicy Beaded T-Shirt, $78 at net-a-porter.com: There's something a little off about this Mulberry bag, but I really, really like it.  I love the combo of the sweatshirt grey, the basic but slouchy shape, and the hint of edge from the side straps.  It's practical, it's versatile, it makes a statement but is something you could use every day.  I know $950 is a lot to spend on a bag (and this also comes in black), but you could get so much wear of this piece.  I really hope they expand it into other colors.  I don't think I own a single piece of Juicy Couture, but now that they've taken on Erin Fetherston as a creative director, I might have to pay them a little more attention.  This drapey black tee is the sort of staple piece that I look for all that time; easy to wear and style, basic but with a hint of glam detailing.  The beading on the shoulders is almost a little '20s inspired, and it turns into a necklace-like detail in the back that's really sweet and just a bit Gothic.


Forever 21 Lacquered Rose Studs, $1.50 at forever21.com, Alex Monroe Rosa Damasca Ruthenium-Plated Earrings, $155 at net-a-porter.com, Viv & Ingrid Rose Vermeil Rose Posts, $65 at vivandingrid.com: I just realized this today because I actually decided to wear a new pair of earrings (I bought earrings!  The insanity!  It's not like my ears got pierced nine months ago or anything), but I discovered that I've been wearing my Viv & Ingrid studs for NINE months.  And haven't taken them out once.  They've never fallen out, gotten loose, or even thought about getting loose, and I've worn them to sleep, the gym, to frats, to class, in the shower, swimming, etc, etc.  NINE months.  That is legit, my friends.  I think the reason is that the groove on the post that the backing fits into is much deeper than that of, say, my Forever 21 earrings, so they're a little more difficult to get on, but once you get them on they aren't going anywhere at all.  Did I mention that they didn't irritate my badly infected ears at all and have garnered ridiculous amounts of compliments?  They aren't pink at all in real life, they're just teensy little roses that are crazy versatile and adorably chic.  I really can't say enough good things about Viv & Ingrid.  They aren't cheap, but they are so, so worth it.  It's funny, because the other two pairs of earrings I've bought recently are both little rose studs.  I see a theme.  One pair is plastic and turquoise colored, and the other pair is from Forever 21 and really similar to the earrings on the left.  They're a little Betty Draper and a little modern/edgy, and overall the perfect hint of sass to add to an outfit when you don't want to go for a 'statement' earring.  And just in case you have money to literally burn, there are these gorgeous Alex Monroe studs.  I love how realistically floral they look, and that burnished silver finish contrasts so perfectly with the girliness of the roses.


Verameat Rose Ring, $68 for copper ring at verameat.com: Just because I'm totally on a roll with this theme, here's this so-cute-it's-almost-sick rose ring (I believe the picture has two rings stacked).  If the rose was any bigger, it would be too sweet, but the teensy size of the rose keeps all that cute from being overpowering.  This is the kind of polished, basic piece that you could really wear every day.  As for this second bracelet, my great aunt gave it to me this weekend.  It's from Victorian England (aka about 140 years old) and covered in garnets.  No big deal.  I may have flipped out.  I just realized it looks like my arm has no bones in that picture.  Creeeepy.  Anyways, I will totally wear this all time with jeans and a t-shirt, because it's the perfect daytime glam piece.  It's so over the top and crazy that I really want to wear it with really low-key, casual pieces.


Image Sources:
Acne jacket: net-a-porter.com, Burberry jacket: net-a-porter.com, Alexander McQueen clutch: net-a-porter.com, Christian Louboutin pumps: net-a-porter.com, Mulberry bag: bagsnob.com, Juicy Couture tee: net-a-porter.com, Forever 21 studs: forever21.com, Alex Monroe studs: net-a-porter.com, Viv & Ingrid studs: vivandingrid.com, Vera Meat ring: verameat.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails