Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Epic Win and Epic Fail

It happened.  The awesome Spanish world cup sweatshirt I ordered came in the mail today.  It's perfection.  It was a $26 sweatshirt, so I wasn't expecting a lot, but it's actually pretty nice.  I tried to get iPhoto to flip the picture, but it hates me.  So practice your backwards reading, I guess? (Look how long my hair is! YES).




My number one pet peeve with sweatshirts is heavy sweatshirts with tiny neck hole that strangle you with the weight of the hood.  This sweatshirt is the exact opposite of all of those, and it helps me support my delicious Spanish footballers.  WIN.


Also, like my yellow boxer shorts.  They have tiny elephants holding martinis on them!  My school mascot is an elephant.  THEY ARE SO CUTE.  I'd totally link them, but I can't find them on the J. Crew website.  Grrr. 


On a much more serious note, I wanted to just touch on the MAC/Rodarte controversy.  For those of you that don't know, the Rodarte for MAC collection is inspired by the designers' trip to Mexico, and has products with names like Juarez and Quinceanera.  The issue with this is that Juarez has been for years now the center of serious femicides, targeted mainly at young women working in factories there, many of whom will never reach their Quinceaneras.  I'm not an expert on this by any means, and you can read more about it here.  What I find really distasteful is that MAC also put a lip pencil in this that takes the color out of your lips and basically makes you look like a corpse.  Oy ve.  Under pressure, MAC released a statement saying that they would change some of the names and give an unspecified amount of money to a charity organization helping to deal with this tragedy.  


Personally, I never made the Juarez-femicide-makeup connection until it lit up the blogosphere, and while I think some of the items in this collection look great, I won't be buying any of them.  It seems distasteful.  I'd rather use my money to make a personal donation to help the women of Juarez.  And now I'll get down off my soap box and go back to being a spazzy blogger.

UPDATE: 
MAC has decided to change (I think) all of the product names and donate $100,000 to women's organizations in Juarez, which you can read more about here.  I'm really pleased that bloggers managed to pressure MAC into turning this into something very positive, but still put off by the fact that MAC did this in the first place.  So I guess I'll wait and see what the products look like and what the new names are before I make any shopping plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails