Wednesday, September 15, 2010

NYFW Round-Up #5

Oh hey, NYFW.  Are you winding down already?  You've already exhausted my MacBook and my wallet, so I'm not complaining.  Here's some more pretty from today:

Rodarte: Rodarte is Rodarte.  They're the wunderkind of NYFW.  They are perpetually loved.  This season was a little more mature, a little more refined--still odd and out-there, but a bit more wearable.  And as always, there was hint of post-apocalyptic princess.  I'm adoring the hair on these models--long, messy, and faded at the ends.  The simple, fitted-to-the-waist and a-line skirt cuts are timeless and flattering, but the details manage to be both antique and futuristic.  The first dress is like a deconstructed, post apocalyptic toga, and the second dress looks like it belongs on a futuristic gladiator girl.  I will die if that second dress pops up on the red carpet. GAH.

Vera Wang, Marc by Marc Jacobs: This dress is very edgy for Vera Wang, and I really like it.  The soft, organic swirls of pleating really remind me of Burberry from a few seasons ago.  The color is so offbeat and odd, but the chiffon and a-line skirt are so classically feminine that together it's a perfect storm of eccentric girly chic, a la Alexa Chung.  There were hints of '70s boho and '90s minimalism at Marc by Marc Jacobs (with a toned down version of the hair and makeup from the Marc Jacobs show!  So cute).  This sundress sums up the best of the '90s for me; simple, pared-down, and grungey-girly, and then the pops of color in the accessories keep it young and modern.

Karen Walker, Dennis Basso: I heart both of these looks.  They're so jaunty.  I know the '70s are making a comeback this season, but the flirty '50s skirt seems to still be sticking around.  I like that there were two very different takes on it today, quirky chic at Karen Walker and retro-girly at Dennis Basso.  The Karen Walker look works because the gym-esque tee tones down the rampant cuteness of the skirt, and the Dennis Basso work looks because all those lush fabrics are in soft, neutral tones.  Both of these looks belong on my body immediately.

Elie Tahari, Herve Leger: I'm gonna be honest, I'm not usually a huge fan of Elie Tahari.  I admire the clothes, but I wouldn't necessarily wear them.  This season, however, felt a lot younger and more accessible.  I'm totally loving this black on black ensemble.  The mixture of textures and finishes in the limited color palette keeps it from feeling flat, and the combination of the cropped motorcycle vest with the gauzy, girly skirt works both conceptually and silhouette-wise.  The Herve Leger collection is generally pretty consistent (you know, bandage dresses), but the lingerie inspiration this season felt relatively fresh.  The sheer neckline and insets on this dress make it both a little more lady-like and a little more sexy, in a sweet and subtle way.  The neutral color palette also works nicely with the ultra body-con fit.

Trendspotting: '70s and '90s silhouettes, '50s skirts, neutrals and nudes, a-line skirts.

All images from style.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails