Thursday, September 9, 2010

NYFW Round-Up #1

Day one of fashion week is always a little slow (at least on style.com), so there's not a lot from today, mostly the organic brands.  However, there is a decent amount of pretty to share, so let's get on to that.

Willow: I've never heard of Willow before, but the collection was very edgy Jason Wu, so I loved it.  I think the Jason Wu vibe comes from the draped micro-pleats.  I like that this is two takes on the same dress, but they have such different vibes.  The dress on the left is more down-town hipster, with its asymmetrical neckline and cutouts, and the dress on the right is a little more uptown.  I adore the sheer sleeves--it's both demure and old school dramatic.

Willow: This look on the left reminds me a bit of Balmain, with the military-esque jacket and the draped swag dress.  The neutral palette, however, gives it a wholly new, minimalist twist.  It looks like camel-ish hues are still going to be big this season, girls.  This yellow dress is so sunny and summery!  It makes me sad that fall is coming.  I'm really not feeling the gladiator flats with the dress, but the golden hue and the micro-pleats are so unique and offbeat that I don't even care about the shoes.

Nicholas K.: Nicholas K. isn't another designer I'm not familiar with, but there's kind of a Rag & Bone meets Alexander Wang vibe here, no?  I think my favorite part are the aviators and fishtail braids.  I'm so happy that side braids are sticking around for another season, just when my hair is getting long enough to wear them!  The muted, neutral color palette works so well with the sexy, relaxed downtown pieces.  That jacket is just killing me.  The oversized collar against the cropped body and the dove grey hue...I die.  It's so minimalist, but at the same time it's so rich and dramatic.

So far, I'm loving it all.  Neutrals and minimalism still seem to be big trends, but it's a little less austere than they were for fall.

Images from: style.com, style.com, style.com, style.com, style.com, style.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails