Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Halloween Costume: Blair Waldorf

I like Halloween.  I really love Halloween costumes.  One, they're an excuse to be ridiculous, and two, they're an excuse for me to buy new clothes.  It's a win-win!  I know this costume idea isn't the freshest one, but it's still really fun.  I'm thinking Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl: preppy, Upper East Side ice queen.


This is classic Blair Waldorf.  I decided not to do a headband for this because Blair has actually grown out of the headbands (crazy, I know), but her basic style remains the same.


J. Crew Lisette Lace Shell, $98 at jcrew.com, See by Chloe Bow-embellished Flared Skirt, $295 at net-a-porter.com: She does a lot of a-line skirts and embellished tops, generally in combination with bows and lace and some sort of jewel tone.  And here we have all three!  The a-line skirt is very flattering, the bow is very schoolgirl Blair, and this is definitely something you could wear again (say with a plain white tank and a little leather jacket?).  The shell is nice and streamlined against the volume of the skirt, the high-neck is classic Blair, and the two jewel tones play off of each other perfectly. 


J. Crew Jenna's Cardigan, $70 at jcrew.com, J. Crew Bow and Chain Ballet Flats, $168 at jcrew.com: I had to do a cardigan.  She's just such a cardigan person.  This one is nice and fitted, and cropped so that it will hit just at the waist of the skirt.  The dark grey doesn't compete with the jewel tones of the rest of the outfit, and the ribbed waist gives it a bit of a retro, Audrey Hepburn vibe (very appropriate).  Now, with Blair and shoes you can do either heels or ballet flats.  I'm tall and clumsy, so I'd go for ballet flats.  These are just very simple and girly, the color ties in with the cardigan, and the bows are very, very UES.


I did this with higher end pieces because Blair wears very high end pieces and because I'd totally use this outfit as an excuse to go shopping.  However, you could definitely replicate this ensemble with pieces from Forever21 or H&M for much less--the basic ideas are the same.


Images from bwaaiin.wordpress.com, jcrew.com, net-a-porter.com, jcrew.com, jcrew.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails