Monday, November 8, 2010

Review: FX Silk Drops Hair Serum

I'm so inconsistent in my hair routine.  I have some products--shampoo, mousse and salt spray--that I am fiercely loyal to and won't consider branching out from.  And then I have some products that I end up buying a different version of every time I go to the drugstore, usually my iron guard and whatever treatment I'm using on my ends.  I went to CVS this weekend to pick up some of this, which I've been loving, and CVS was out!  Boo.  So I picked up some of this serum. 


FX Silk Drops Hair Serum, $5.99 at cvs.com: You get a good sized amount for the price--more than you do with the Organix serums--and it smells surprisingly nice, very subtle and lemony with a slight herbal twist.  The cap twists up and then you squeeze the bottle to get the product out.  That makes it easy to get the right amount of serum, but I can see this spilling all over during traveling really easily.  That's part of why I have a love-hate relationship with serums.  They can be so messy, and stain everything, and if you use too much they make your hair really oily.  But if you use the right amount they can be miracle workers for dry, split ends.


As for this specific serum, I like it.  It's not OMG AMAZING, but it's pretty darn good.  I take a dime to nickle-sized amount on my palm, rub my hands together, and then run this through the bottom third of my hair right after I get out of the shower.  I'd definitely recommend using this on wet hair--using it on dry hair makes it much easier to overdo and take it to that greasy place.  Since it's a cocktail of different silicones, this serum does a great job at moisturizing and making your ends look shiny and healthy.  My ends feel nice and soft.  I really don't know why, but I'm not over the moon about this stuff.  It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's not HG material.  I've heard it's a good alternative to the Chi Silk Infusion, and from the few times I've used Silk Infusion I'd have to agree.  They both have a similarly thick consistency and do the exact same thing to my hair.

Awkward Chic rating: B+.  It's a very solid product overall, but loses a few points for packaging and a general lack of wow factor.

Image from cvs.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails