Wednesday, January 12, 2011

More Apartment Shopping

I'm a planner.  So even though I'm not moving into my off-campus apartment until June, I've been shopping around for cute furniture, bedding, and decorations.  It's a continuous battle between wanting to not spend a lot of money and wanting really cute things. Oh, and for reference my design aesthetic is sort of modern, clean Baroque glam.  Like the house of the eccentric aristocratic relative with the rundown country estate and fabulous furniture from all over the world (yes, I have that much time on my hands to think about this stuff).  I'm going for walls in a pale blush pink and black lacquer accents.  Here are some of my current favorites.

PB Teen De-Lite Lamp Base, $39 at pbteen.com, West Elm Faceted Mirror Side Table, $199 at westelm.com: The base of that lamp is so fab.  It's a little hard to see, but it's a clear plastic that's shaped like bubbles stacked on top of each other.  The shape feels so glam because it reminds me of a chandelier, but the clear plastic takes it clean, modern place.  I'd DIY a lampshade like that by hot glueing a piece of grosgrain ribbon to the top and bottom edges of the frame (guess, I've been watching too much HGTV).  I love mirrored furniture.  The mirrors are like the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles, very rococo/baroque and very glamorous, but the modern, geometric shape of the side table makes it more modern Marie Antoinette than straight out of an antiques store.  This would make a great nightstand.

IKEA Trollsta Table $79.99 at ikea.com, Jonathan Adler British Flag Pillow, $98 at jonathanadler.com: How fab is that IKEA side table?  I love the juxtaposition of the simple, modern top against the curving, ornate legs?  It really reminds me of the furniture from Beauty and the Beast, and that flat, matte black works so nicely with my color scheme.  I'd use this as my nighstand, because it isn't very big.  I'm a sucker for Union Jack anything.  I know $98 is ridiculous for a pillow, but I got another Jonathan Adler pillow at a Domino Magazine sale years ago (cry cry for Domino), and I love it.  You can really feel the quality, and it stands up to wear very well.  This one works for me because the color palette is so young and fun, and just unexpected.

Images via pbteen.com, westelm.com, ikea.com, jonathanadler.com.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a planner too! I love making lists and filling calendars, etc.! I've already started window shopping (online) for things I would like in my apartment, but I'm not moving until next year haha...I really like the things you picked out.

    Also, I nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award. (:

    http://shewalksiinbeauty.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    -Ariana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks girl!

    It's never too early to start apartment shopping :) I keep lists on my phone of all the things I need to buy and I abuse my iCal like it's nobody's business. A girl's gotta stay on top of things!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails