Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Time to Play Dress-up!

Just to break up all the runway coverage, I thought I'd play dress-up. In my own closet. Yes mom, this is what I do with my free time. Be proud. Anyways, I put together a few looks I'll be wearing this fall. Sorry for the crappy mirror pics, but my roomie was being productive and studying, and well, that's the only mirror.

Look 1: Top: American Apparel Tri-Blend Light Weight Raglan Pullover, $36 at americanapparelstore.com, Purple Scarf: Forever 21, Jeans: 7 For All Mankind High-Waist Boot Cut Jean, $165 at shopbop.com, Sperry Topsiders: $42.90 at zappos.com, Look 2: same top, Red Plaid Scarf: Vintage, Belt: H&M, Skirt: American Apparel Jersey Pocket Skirt, $30 at americanapparelstore.com, Heels: Steve Madden Luxe. Our mirror is in a hallway, so there's like 2 feet of space in front of it and it's ridiculously hard to fit my entire reflection inside the mirror. So no, my legs are not as stumpy as they look in that first pic, and those jeans are actually really flattering. I swear. I love this American Apparel top. You get the look of an over-sized sweatershirt/tee, but since it's slightly cropped and fitted at the body, the volume isn't overwhelming. The wide crew neck flashes a needed bit of skin, and I like to push up the sleeves for an unstudied look. With the jeans and the Topsiders it's casual, and slightly androgynous chic, and the scarf adds a nice little pop of color. With the high-waisted skirt, there's a nice play on proportions (I love tucking baggy tops into high-waisted skirts), and the top balances out the length of the skirt perfectly. That's actually a guys belt, but I like the juxtaposition of a girlier outfit with masculine accessories, and that scarf is my favorite scarf of all time. I got it for $5 at a flea market like 3 years ago, and I wear it ALL THE TIME. It's my baby. Oh, and I really like the grey-on-grey color palette of this second look. It's chic in a very subtle, subdued way, and the red in the scarf keeps it from being boring.


Look 1: same vintage scarf, Cardigan: Vintage, Black Tank: Forever 21, Shorts: Johnson, Tights: Target, Hunter Boots: $115 at shopbop.com, Necklaces: 3 vintage gold necklaces, Tiffany Key Necklace with Vintage Oval Key, $175 at tiffanys.com, and Small Oval Key, $125 at tiffanys.com, Look 2: same necklaces and American Apparel Skirt, American Apparel Unisex Solid Rib Oversized Pocket Cardigan, $42 at americanapparelstore.com, American Apparel Tri-Blend Racerback Tank, $19 at americanapparelstore.com, Coach Belt. I really want to make these tights work somehow. Tights are something I've always wanted to wear but never really thought I could pull off, and these were like $6 and are the perfect amount of sheer, and I realize that they don't really work here but I wanted to put them in anyways. The navy cashmere cardigan I stole from my mommy--it has the prettiest mother of pearl buttons--and yes, I'm wearing it over a black tank because you can wear black and navy together! It's hard to see, but the shorts are plaid, and the colors play off the plaid in the scarf nicely. I would actually wear this if it was raining, and I die for my Hunter boots, and for the giant tangle of necklaces I'm wearing (literally, they tangle the moment I put them on). For this last look, I did an oversized cardigan for more coverage over that skimpy tank, and a more delicate belt than before for a softer look. That cardigan is actually a bright forest green, so it has a little more color. It's an easy way to wear an oversized piece while still keeping some shape, because the high-waist of the skirt and the belt remind everybody that you have a figure. And I just had to throw in a picture of the scarf. I mean, it has plaid AND leopard print AND paisley. All in one scarf. Plus it's the size of a small blanket, which is awesome and convenient.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails