Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Runway to Realway

Some people get songs stuck in their head. I get outfits stuck in my head. No, really, I'm sadly not kidding. Lately when I zone out or daydream or whatever, I'm always wearing an outfit (in my head) like one of the ones below. It's always a black leather motorcycle jacket over an asymmetrical, sheer-paneled black mini dress. Very specific, I know.

Twenty8Twelve
, Alexander Wang, Alexander Wang: Love, love, love, love, love, love, LOVE. Love.


So of course I had to round up a few more practical options to make me feel like I could actually accomplish this look in real life. It's very cathartic.

Alexander Wang Cutout Dress, $565 at shopbop.com, Free People One Shoulder Zipper Dress, $128 at shopbop.com, Black Halo One Shoulder Mini Jackie Dress, $345 at shopbop.com: This first dress is the real deal. I mean, it's fantastic. It's got this great asymmetrical, organic sheer paneling combined with a super-sexy black mini shape. It's also almost $600. For a more affordable option, I like this Free People dress. It's less than $130 (hello, steal), and it not only has the great one-shouldered thing going on, but it also has chic, zipper detailing on the bodice. Zippers. ZIPPERS. I die. And the zippers don't even look like zippers, they look like clean, metallic trim, so don't get scared off by the 'edginess.' The decent coverage on top makes up for the uber-mini length, and really, this dress looks like $400, not $128. You get bang for your buck. If you want a less severe shade or a little more length, this Black Halo dress is in my favorite neutral, gray, and still has the one shouldered cut and an interesting detail in the pleated trim.


Illia Leather Motorcycle Jacket, $583 at shopbop.com, Pelle Moda Wrigley Peep Toe Pumps on Double Platform, $145 at shopbop.com, Made Her Think Wrap Your Stones Necklace, $298 at shopbop.com: Since the dress is very pulled together and streamlined, the jacket needs to be a little more casual and a little messy even. I love the texture of this jacket--the wrinkled leather is the perfect counterpoint to the clean lines of the dresses. The long sleeves balance out the short length of the dress, but the short body is flattering because it hits at the waist. And there's just something so rock and roll about throwing a casual jacket over a party dress. Sigh. These shows might be my favorite piece. They look just like my favorite Louboutins, minus the patent, the grey suede is super rich and versatile, and that platform is so hot. I'd guess those shoes cost $500+ and were by a serious designer, not less than $150 and were by Pelle Moda. I might actually buy those. I'd throw on this necklace on top to add a bit of girly glamour. The stones in the necklace keep it feminine and fun, but the chains add visual weight and are in tune with the rock and roll vibe of the rest of the outfit.


Image Sources:
Twenty8Twelve: style.com, Alexander Wang runway: style.com, Alexander Wang dress: shopbop.com, Free People dress: shopbop.com, Black Halo dress: shopbop.com, Illia jacket: shopbop.com, Pelle Moda shoes: shopbop.com, Made Her Think necklace: shopbop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails