Wednesday, September 2, 2009

V Magazine's Lady Gaga and Marc Jacobs

My relationship with Lady Gaga has been starting to get a little rocky lately, I'm not going to lie. On the one hand, I love her music, but on the other hand, it's been so overplayed that it's starting to make me feel like my ears are bleeding. Her style is crazy awesome, but it's also crazy. Even though she obviously has something against pants (or skirt, shorts, or any sort of bottoms for that matter), I kind of find her fashion inspiring because she's not feminine in the traditional way at all. She compares herself to a tranny all the time, wears stripper heels and hoods and leather bodysuits, and yet there's something deeply feminine about her because she's deeply in touch with her own sense of style and doesn't care what anyone else thinks about it.

V Magazine was kind enough to email us the images from her upcoming cover and story from their September issue, shot by Mario Testino and styled with all Marc Jacobs. The Marc Jacobs inspired sunnies on the cover actually peel off. You can play with them. I've never been so excited to get a magazine in the mail. If I had a car, those would so be going on one of the windshields (not even joking). The cover comes with either blue or pink sunglasses. As for the inside, well, it's Lady Gaga. A very tan Lady Gaga, sans pants, doing something mildly shocking, and wearing some sort of accessory made out of hair. What I like about this spread is that they haven't tried to change Lady Gaga, they haven't styled her into a story or given her a new look. It's just Lady Gaga (in on-trend clothes she'd actually wear), and that's definitely enough.



Speaking of Marc Jacobs, I have to gush about how much I love the Marc by Marc Jacobs stores. Every time I walk in I tell myself that I won't be able to buy anything, that I'm just window shopping, and every time I'm surprised by how affordable their stuff is. They have $28 rain boots (black/navy with a kicky color trim), $28 tees (see below), a bunch of affordable totes, wallets, clutches, and jewelry all under $40, and all the usual Marc by Marc bags, shoes, and clothes. While all that Marc by Marc-ness could come over as intimidatingly hipstery (I just made up so many words), it's actually a really fun, relaxed environment to shop in. I know they have stores in San Francisco and on Newbury St. in Boston (woot woot), and in a ton of other cities that I'm having trouble tracking down right now. I bought a Paris tee there about three years ago, and I wear it all the time, so I thought I'd pick up a London tee this time. My iPhoto won't let me flip the photo around, but what they do is have the city and country over Marc Jacobs with the country's flag in the middle. I like them because these tees are ridiculously soft and comfy, and they have an adorable, punky retro vibe. (And that splotch on the middle is just water, because I'm clumsy, not some random t-shirt deformity).


Image Sources:
Lady Gaga: vmagazine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails