Thursday, September 3, 2009

MAC's Cream Color Base in Root and a Truly Epic Scarf

I think I've posted this eye look from Proenza Schouler like 6 times. I love it. To death. It's got the impact of a smokey eye, but it's a little more low-key, rock and roll instead of full out glam. The key here is finding the perfect brown, cream shadow. At the show they used Cream Color Base in Dark Brown, but since that's a MAC Pro product, it's a little hard for me to track down. So I tried using the Cream Color Base in Root instead, scroll down for my results:


Root is a medium, plummy brown with silver shimmer. It's technically a multi-purpose product, but I'm using it as an eyeshadow. It's pretty firm for a cream eyeshadow, much firmer than the Benefit Cream shadows, but it warms up quickly with the warmth of your fingers and is easy to spread. It goes on pretty sheer, and it actually feels a little oily at first, but it dries to a more matte finish quickly. As for the wear, I feel like this would crease like crazy if you didn't use an eyeshadow base, but aside from the creasing the wear is pretty good. I like this color because it's subtle, and be smudged on for a more natural look, but then you can layer it on for a more dramatic, night time look.

To get the look from the Proenza Schouler show, I'd take your eyeshadow brush, either a smudge brush or a regular shadow brush, and brush Root into the lower lashline, extending it a bit below the lashline itself and blending it out past the eye a bit. Then apply Root to the upper lashline and lid, going just a bit beyond the crease. Grab your crease brush and blend the shadow into the brow bone. Then grab MAC's Pearlglide Liner in Molasses, $14.50 at maccosmetics.com (if you haven't gotten this already, DO IT NOW. I'm not kidding. I haven't touched another liner since I bought this, and it's the first liner I've actually repurchased before I've run out. I'm stockpiling it), and lightly line the upper and lower lashlines. Finish with a coat of mascara on the upper lashes, and you're done!

I give the Cream Color Base in Root a 9/10 (1 point off for creasing), and normally this is where I'd say you can get it for $16.50 at the MAC website, but...it's not on the MAC site. It's not Pro, because I just got it at the MAC store today, but I think it might be one of those hard to track down products. Try calling your local MAC to see if they have it before you drive out there?

291 Peace Sign Cashmere Scarf, $356 at shopbop.com: I realize that $350 is a totally insane price to pay for a scarf, I really do, but...it's big and cashmere. And grey on black. And it has a giant, oversized peace sign. A peace sign! When it's all wrapped around your neck it looks like some hardcore, abstract pattern. The cashmere is practical for, say, a Boston winter climate (hehe), the size works because it functions as a scarf but can moonlight as a shawl or blanket (great for plane rides). The neutral palette brings the cost per wear way down because it'll go with anything, the peace sign is young and whimsical, but has a bit of an activist message, and the fringe gives it an easygoing, casual vibe. I'm starting my Christmas wishlist early, people.


Image Sources:
Proenza Schouler behind the scenes: style.com, MAC Cream Color Base in Root: livejournal.com, 291 Scarf: shopbop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails