Monday, February 1, 2010

The Grammys Red Carpet and Random

I'm entertained by the Grammys. I don't really follow the actual awards, but the red carpet is hilarious. People don't pay as much attention to the Grammy red carpet as they do the Golden Globe/Oscar red carpets, and since it's the 'music industry,' stars seem to think that there's more room for creative license. Not always true.

Taylor Swift in Kauffman Franco, Fergie in Pucci, Miley Cyrus in Herve Leger by Max Azria: I love Taylor Swift. She usually manages to hit the balance between young and elegant on the red carpet very nicely. But this dress...it isn't working for me. The neckline is a little awkward, but it works in a sort of futuristic, geometric way. What bothers me is the body of the dress. Specifically the midsection. Is it just me, or does that not fit right? It makes her look awkwardly lumpy/square and completely eats her waist. Fergie, on the other hand, is totally working the jewel-toned blue. It has the same slightly-futuristic vibe as TSwift's dress, but in a much more flattering and age appropriate way. It fits like a glove, the color is really flattering, and her hair looks fan-freaking-tastic. And then there's Miley Cyrus. Hm. The extensions are a bit much, and the pattern on that bandage dress is a little like the love child of tie dye and cheap satin, but overall I think I like it. The accessories are simple, the silhouette is clean, and at least she's covering up her arms to make up for the mini-mini length.


Rihanna in Elie Saab Haute Couture, Kristen Bell in Etro, Jennifer Nettles in Victoria Beckham: Rihanna's really lost all shock value for me. I expect crazy. So this seems relatively tame, if a little Scarlet O'Hara dances at the Copacabana. All those feathers are making me think her pouffed hair looks a little like a cockadoo. Just saying. Kristen Bell is so tiny and adorable and fun-seeming, and I think this dress is choking all that good humor out of her. I mean, first off, it does really look like it's choking her (I know the '90s are coming back, but I think chokers should stay in the last century forever), and then the black body of the dress totally overwhelms her petite frame. On the plus side, her hair looks pretty? I don't know who Jennifer Nettles is, but she looks fabulous, and I clearly have to give Victoria Beckham more credit. This dress is flattering, stately, on-trend, and sexy, all at the same time. A+


Katy Perry in Zac Posen, Lea Michele in Romona Reveza, Lady Gaga in Armani Prive: Oh, Katy Perry. As much as I want to steal your fiance, I do not want to steal this dress. It blends into her skin tone freakishly well, which makes that embellishment look more like a skin disease than actual flowers. Lea Michele, on the other hand, definitely knows how to dress her body. This dress gives her a total hourglass figure, and the mini-length and flirty feather skirt add a touch of youthful sass. And last but not at all least, Lady Gaga. This is only one of her many ensembles from that night, but it's my favorite. If you look closely the hair is obviously fake (although I do like it), she's holding some sort of weapon, wearing a nude, bejeweled body stocking, heelless platform heels, and has seemingly faced Giorgio Armani to make her a dress out of plastic tubes. And she still looks amazing.


Juliet & Company Mini Drop Earrings, $40 at shopbop.com, Juliet & Company Fishnet Stocking Pearl Necklace, $55 at shopbop.com, Veda Electric Leather Dress, $345 at shopbop.com: First off, Juliet & Company is an adorable name for a jewelry company (totes reminds me of Romeo and Juliet). How adorably keepsakey are those earrings? The drop earring shape has such inherent drama, but the delicacy of those tiny faux pearls and little sparkly orbs (orbs?) balance that so nicely. These would look amazing with an intricate updo. I love the idea of a pearl/fishnet necklace. There's something glamorous and yet subversive about the idea, and it's a fantastic twist on the classic little pearl necklace. This dress is leather with mesh and jersey on the zippers and a giant zipper on the back. Over the top? Yes. Amazing? Double yes. I really love what Veda has done with the variation of textures and fabrics in this restricted color palette. It adds a whole other level of visual interest to the dress and elevates it beyond cheap and into sophisticated (albeit in a very Angelina Jolie playing a dominatrix spy sort of way).


Moschino Cheap & Chic Lurex-knit Heart Dress, $525 at net-a-porter.com, Single Silk-chiffon Animal-print Dress, $315 at net-a-porter.com: All I have to say about this first piece is heart-covered sweater dress. If that doesn't enlist some 'awwwws,' then you have no soul. No joke. The beige and black balance out the cartoony heart so well. This leopard dress looks a little schlumpy here, but on a person I swear it's a lovely mix of draped and fitted that's a play on what Alber Envaz did with leopard a few seasons ago and the new asymmetrical draping trend.


Just to be clear, I don't understand this campaign at all, but I really like it. Not sure how the dog relates, but it adds an interesting, abstract feel, and Natalia Vodianova looks insanely gorgeous. I love the bright, ruffly sunniness of the dress and the off-center, diagonal composition of Natalia's body.


Image Sources:
Grammy red carpet: nymag.com, Juliet & Company earrings: shopbop.com, necklace: shopbop.com, Veda dress: shopbop.com, Moschino Cheap & Chic dress: net-a-porter.com, Single dress: net-a-porter.com, Stella McCartney ad: livejournal.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails