Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday Fiesta

So obviously prom and those sorts of events end with high school, right? Wrong. Kind of. College (at least Tufts) is full of formals and seasonal dance things and any sort of gathering that brings up prom connotations. Like tonight, and "Winter Bash." Can anyone tell that I'm not that thrilled? My favorite part of these events is figuring out what to wear. There are a lot of factors that go into putting together a cute, going-out, formal outfit. I'm just going to wear what I wore to prom last year, the sequined dress below. $60 on eBay! Wootwoot. And how cute is my dog?


I'm recycling that dress because I'm too lazy/cheap to go buy a new one, but in my imaginary world with my walk-in constantly refreshing designer closet, I'd wear something along the lines of the outfit below.

BCBG Sheer Paneled Evening Dress, $348 at bcbg.com, Torn by Robby Kono Olivia Crystal Mini Dress, $440 at shopbop.com, NARS Nail Polish in Purple Rain, $16 at bluemercury.com: The challenge with these college formals is that you want to look fashion-forward and chic, but a little sexy at the same time. No twee satin or empire waists here. I'd love to wear one of these two dresses. The BCBG dress plays off the sheer trend, the black/white patterning we saw at Givenchy, and the layered bandage look typical of Herve Leger. The sheer neckline has the effect of a strapless top but allows you to wear a bra, the cut is figure-hugging and flattering, and the overall effect is very futuristic Versace, sort of Zoe Saldana in Star Trek but a little flirtier. This second dress I've posted a couple of times, but I really do think it's perfect. The one-sleeve silhouette is really on-trend, and adds a little extra coverage/warmth, and the subtle crystal embellishment adds such an interesting sheen. It's a refreshing alternative to sequins, and a little more rock and roll chic. I'd spice up both these neutral dresses with this new purple polish from NARS. It's not so bright that it takes these super-sleek dresses into neon raver territory, but it's bright enough to add a bit of fun and warmth. Plus, the iridescent sheen really makes the purple jewel-tone come alive. It's the perfect girly counterpart to an edgier dress.


Kate Beckinsale: I'd do a smokey eye somewhat like Kate Beckinsale's below--very tight to the eye, lots of blending, black liner.


Stila Jewel Eye Shadow Palette, $32 at sephora.com, CC SKYE Blossom Ring, $245 at shopbop.com, YSL Tribute Suede Sandals, $995 at net-a-porter.com: For that smokey eye, I'd use this Stila palette. Not only have I heard amazing things about it (like that it's super smooth, and sparkly but with next to no fallout), but the combination of the sparkly black and the warm golds/pinks/purples would be fantastic for a fun twist on the traditional smokey eye look. I'd smudge the black into the lashline and drag it out a bit beyond the corner of the eye, blend the purple heavily in the crease, and swipe a bit of the rosey pink onto the inner corner of the eye. For this look I wanted to keep the jewelry to a minimum, just because big earrings/necklaces can be a little challenging to dance with and easy to look, so a statement ring was the perfect alternative. I like this CC SKYE version because it stays within the muted color palette of the dresses while adding a little extra bling, and the Art Deco black and white pattern is very dramatic and of the moment. To tie the purple nails in with the rest of the outfit and to add a dash more color, I'd chose these YSL Tribute heels. The shape is pretty much iconic by now, the platform is super practical, and the suede adds a lot of textural interest to the look while the purple adds a little more spunk.


Thakoon Addition Twist Front Lace Dress, $1,120 at shopbop.com, Draped Cami Dress, $885 at shopbop.com, Mulberry Oversized Shiny Alexa Tote, $1,1450 at shopbop.com: And on a totally unrelated note, these lovely pieces popped up on Shopbop today and I had to share them with you guys. First off, I love Thakoon Addition. It's still not cheap, but it's so much cheaper than regular Thakoon, and a little more wearable. How gorgeous are these dresses? The twisted detailing on this first dress is so ethereal and chic, but also crazy flattering. I like how the patterned, sheer overlay becomes the sleeves and extends beyond the hem of the dress. It's the perfect way to do Grecian, summer chic without looking, well, cliched and Grecian. This second dress is giving me a '90s flashback, but in a good way. The itsy-bitsy floral print contrasts nicely with the simple shape and drapey ruching. It's a nice, new take on the spring sundress, no? And then there's this bag. AKA the new love of my life. 1: it's leopard print. Glazed leopard print, no less. 2: the shape is the lovechild between a satchel and a shoulder bag. 3: it has multiple handles. 4: it's amazing. Do I have to continue?


Image Sources:
BCBG dress: bcbg.com, Torn by Ronny Kobo dress: shopbop.com, NARS nail polish: temptalia.com, Kate Beckinsale pics: glamour.com, Stila palette: sephora.com, CC SKYE ring: shopbop.com, YSL heels: net-a-porter.com, Thakoon Addition twist front dress: shopbop.com, Thakoon Addition cami dress: shopbop.com, Mulberry bag: shopbop.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails