Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I am SO pale. Gah.

I realized that I haven't posted a pic of my makeup for a really long time, so I thought I'd let you guys see what I'm doing in that department. I'm not gonna talk about my face makeup because that's in a sort of flux at the moment, but I'm really loving my eye makeup.


I'm still rocking the cat eye on a daily basis (of course). I use Urban Decay's Primer Potion as a base, and top that off with a layer of MAC's Cream Color Base in Pearl and Stila's Smudge Pot in Kitten (I get these all over the lid and then a bit on the browbone and at the inner corner of the eye). I brush a little bit of MAC's shadow in Femme Fi into the inner corner of the eye for a little extra highlight. Then I blend MAC's shadow in Satin Taupe across the outer portion of the lid and into the brush, followed with a bit of NAR's shadow in Galapagos at the very outer corner of the eye and slightly into the crease for extra definition. I smudge a bit of Satin Taupe and Galapagos into the lower lashline. Then I line the upper lashline and lower lashline/waterline with MAC's Eye Kohl in Blooz (I like navy better than black for the waterline because it's not as harsh and it really makes the green in my eyes pop). I follow that up with my cat eye liner, done with the black Stila Smudge Pot and a Sephora angled liner brush. I do two coats of Max Factor's Waterproof Volume Couture Mascara (discontinued), and for undereye circles, I use an Anastasia pencil in light pink followed by a layer of Givenchy's Mister Light Corrective Pen, and blend those together. I sound so high maintenance. It only takes five minutes, I swear!

OPI Cajun Shrimp, $6.99 at salonsavings.com: Oh, my poor, poor feet. They do not look happy. I'M SO PALE. Grrr. Ever since the sun decided to start shining in Boston again, I've been embracing the flip flops like it's nobody's business. I didn't have any self-tanner to remedy the paleness situation, so I thought a summer pedicure would be a good way to make my feet presentable. Only problem: I didn't have any fun pedicure polish. But nothing was stopping me, so I mixed equal parts Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Polish Xtreme Wear (that's a mouthful) in Cherry Red with OPI's Don't Be Koi with Me. My goal was to achieve the poppy, coral/red/orange color of OPI's Cajun Shrimp (aka best pedicure polish of all time) on the right there. My version isn't all that pinky, but it's still a nice change from the usual red. Lesson learned: mixing your own polish is way easier than you'd think. Just start with small quantities so you don't end up wasting a bunch of polish like I did, and mix on a non-porous surface (I used the bottom of an expired Diet Coke can. So clever).


FX Flat Iron Shining Defrizzant, $5.99 at amazon.com, Jergens Natural Glow Foaming Daily Moisturizer in Fair to Medium, $8.49 at drugstore.com: I can't believe I haven't blogged about this flat iron spray yet. I've used up almost the entire bottle already! I stumbled across it looking for a replacement for my Tresemme heat protection spray (I liked it, but whenever I travel, no matter what I do, it gets all over EVERYTHING). I grabbed this on a whim/because I like the purple bottle. It was a lucky whim, because this stuff is fantastic. The bottle doesn't last quite as long as my Tresemme, but it works so much better. I flat iron my ends every day, and my last haircut was in January, so my ends should be dead. But they aren't at all, and I think it's because of this spray. It keeps my hair extremely shiny, helps it stay straighter long, and banishes all dryness and frizzies. The smell is a little weird, but at this point I just don't care. That tiny purple bottle is full of magic. If you looked at the picture of my feet, you know that at this point, coming out of the winter of death here in Boston, I am Snow White pale. No joke. I like the look of a natural tan, but I always, always, always burn first, and I'm trying to take better care of my skin. I'm seriously contemplating this foaming self tanner. I like the normal Jergens, but it does apply something streaky at times, and it seems like the foam nature of this version would eliminate all of that. The reviews are glowing, and I want to be glowing too! I'll probably pick it up this weekend, and I'll let you guys know how that goes.

About two days ago, once the sun finally poked its head out again, I realized that all my skirts and dresses were in the wash and that I had zero pairs of shorts. But it was one of those days where I absolutely COULDN'T wear jeans again, so after five minutes of intense pouting and frowning, I dug out an old pair of Sevens and hacked them to pieces. Voila, instant jean shorts. They're actually super easy to make. I guess-timated how long I wanted them to be, added about 2 inches for the cuff, and cut them with a pair of scissors. Then I put them on, folded the cuffs to where I wanted them to be, and literally sewed them into place while I was still wearing them. Problem solved.


J. Crew Leather Capri Sandals, $49.50 at jcrew.com, Longchamp Eiffel Tower Le Pliage, $155 at saks.com: I realized that I have a ton of sandals, but none of them are actually nice. I have rainbows and plastic flip flops and random gladiators that I got at Urban Outfitters about four years ago. My last pair of J. Crew capri sandals died in ninth grade, and I've missed them terribly. They last forever, and they're so darn chic. They're understated and simple, but not at all boring, and while they might not be the comfiest shoes in the world, they're pitch perfect with any summer outfit. I saw these Eiffel Tower Le Pliage totes at Saks when I was in NYC, and I played with them for almost an hour. I want a Le Pliage tote, but every other girl at Tufts has one, and I don't want something that everyone else has, you know? I haven't seen anyone with the Eiffel Tower version (it also comes in black), and it's super practical and roomy, but also insanely adorable and whimsical. That diagonal, awkward little Eiffel Tower takes the totes from basic to chic, and who doesn't want to look like a little French Girl?



And on another summery note, I've been listening to this song non-stop for the past few days: Love love love by Tristan Prettyman. She is AMAZING.

Image Sources:
OPI Cajun Shrimp: andilynn77.xanga.com, FX flat iron spray: amazon.com, Jergens tanner: drugstore.com, J. Crew sandals: jcrew.com, Longchamp le pliage: saks.com,

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails