Monday, November 9, 2009

Outfits and Dilemmas

The one thing I miss about going to a highschool with a strict (ok, not really) uniform code was that I never really had to put together entire outfits. I had to coordinate what kind of sweater and whatever accessories I was wearing, but the skirt and shirt were always taken care of. Now that I actually have to assemble unique outfits everyday, I've realized that it's really, really easy to fall into an ensemble rut. In Meganland there are lots of jeans, v-necks, scarves, and big cashmere sweaters. Maybe a pair of gladiator sandals if I'm feeling adventurous. I know it's sad, but it's hard to muster up enthusiasm about something you're only wearing to class. But starting from now on, I'm going to try to mix it up a bit. It's still warm enough that I can get away with thin layers, so I hunted down a few pieces that I'd love to be wearing right now.

T by Alexander Wang Classic Tank Dress with Mini Pocket, $90 at shopbop.com, Urban Outfitters Nom de Plume Yaya Moto Jacket, $98 at shopbop.com, American Apparel Opaque Pantyhose, $14 at americanapparelstore.com: I think this tank dress is a great base for an outfit. You can layer it, belt it, accessorize the bejesus out of it, and get a lot of very different looks out of the same piece. The little pocket is really cute too. I'd probably layer a nude cami underneath is since the top is so sheer, and the straight but roomy cut is really flattering. I like this motorcycle jacket on top because it's actually not leather, which is refreshing (and more affordable), the short length hits right at the waist so it gives the tank dress some shape, and all those zippers add a bit of edge. The tights go underneath to add some extra warmth and coverage. I chose sheerish black tights because totally opaque black is really heavy against the white dress, and the sheerness is really on-trend.


Kenneth Jay Lane Monkey & Tassel Necklace, $99 at shopbop.com, Dolce Vita Flash Multi Chain Booties, $202 at shopbop.com, Foley + Corinna Mid City Tote in Grape, $444 at shopbop.com: I'd throw on this tassel necklace for a bit of sparkle (the head of the tassel is a monkey face! So cute). The long, relaxed lines of the necklace contrast nicely with the structure of the jacket, and the tassel adds a little boho flair. I love, love, love these shoes. The hidden platform does great things for your legs, all the chains give it a ton of personality, and the zipper in the back is just the icing on the cake. I know these aren't practical for running across campus, but I think I'd be willing to suffer the pain. I have this Foley + Corinna bag, and I love it to death. It goes with everything, it's durable, it's the perfect size, it has just the right amount of retro inspiration, and the jewel-tone hue adds a pop of color to this monochromatic ensemble.


J. Crew Brewster Espresso Leather Boots, starting at $109.99 at ebay.com, DV Willy Booties, on sale for $119.95 down from $143 at shopdolcevita.com: I know I've said it before, but I really want a pair of boots. Or booties. I can't decide. Which is a major part of the problem. I either want something edgy like the booties above, a pair of simple booties like these DV heels, or a pair of equestrian meets engineer/motorcycle boots. I think the flat boots might be more practical/versatile, but I love the chunky heels on these little booties and I only have one pair of heels right now (that's right. Just one. I'm failing at life). Opinions?


Image Sources:
T by Alexander Wang dress: shopbop.com, UO jacket: urbanoutfitters.com, American Apparel tights: americanapparelstore.com, Kenneth Jay Lane necklace: shopbop.com, Dolce Vita booties: shopbop.com, Foley + Corinna bag: shopbop.com, J. Crew boots: ebay.com, DV booties: shopdolcevita.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails