Friday, November 20, 2009

It Can't Be Avoided: New Moon.

So let's talk about Twilight. Or New Moon, specifically. I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the books. The plot is ridiculous, but entertaining, and they're a great beach/airplane/vacation read because you can breeze through them in a few hours. But the writing...the writing is terrible. They're even more badly written than Harry Potter, to the point where it actually becomes distracting. Ugh. As for the movies, I love them. Not because I think they have great cinematic value, but because they're pretty, really good in a really bad way, and full of pretty people (RPATZ!). I also happen to like Kristen Stewart. She can act (see: Adventureland), she's intriguingly anti-typical celebrity, and she has interesting taste in clothes, which we'll examine now.

Jason Wu, Oscar de la Renta: I know a lot of people didn't like the Jason Wu on her because it goes against her traditional aesthetic, but that's kind of why I like it. I mean, with that hair it's nice to see something fresh and girly on her. The cut is really flattering and sweet, the belt toughens it up a little, and the print adds a nice, organic edge. This Oscar de la Renta dress is similar concept: a somewhat traditional, but flattering cut (although I really wish it had something at the waist), with a graphic, organic print. The contrast of the tulle is really sweet against the hard edges of the print. I just wish that she had a piece of jewelry on (just one!) and did something else with her hair. Pompadour plus mullet does not elegant make.


Gucci, Elizabeth & James: Two similar looks, two very different levels of success. Just look at the difference in hair styles. The first do is sleek and edgy, and the second is odd and messy (those bangs are scaring me). As for the '80s alien dresses (love that trend), the Gucci wins hands down. It's interesting and sexy without showing too much skin, and all the colored panels are flattering and add visual interest without being distracting. I like the leather on the second dress, but I feel like she's seconds away from a wardrobe malfunction with that sheer panel, and maybe it's the slouching, but it doesn't seem that flattering. The first dress really accessories itself with that fab neckline, but the second dress is crying for a necklace, a belt, something.


Balenciaga, J. Mendel: I'm really glad that someone is wearing this Balenciaga, because I thought it was brilliant but I didn't think it would get much red carpet exposure. I admire her for wearing it. That said, it's styled terribly. The dress is '80s sci-fi heroine enough on it's own, it does not need those clunky patent boots. A peep-toe pump would have done wonders here, as would a cobalt blue clutch for a pop of color. Also, this dress is on the casual side for the red carpet, and putting her hair up in a slightly more formal way would have made the overall look so much chicer. I already talked about this J. Mendel dress, and I still love it to death (hate, hate, hate the shoes still). That said, she looks so out of place in this dress. I think she needs more styling, maybe a mixed-texture belt and an interesting statement necklace to add a bit of edge to this very sweet look. And a different haircut, but that's a different story.


Dolce & Gabbana, Rock and Republic: Love this Dolce & Gabbana. Love love love. There's just a hint of corset at the bodice, which makes it a little boudoir, but the black simplicity of the rest of the dress keeps it from being kitschy, and the blazer on top adds a nice menswear touch that balances the look out perfectly. I like this Rock and Republic dress on her. It's very much her style, she's working it, it's edgy and fashion forward but not over the top (maybe a little out of place at the Teen Choice awards, but whatever). What's keeping me from loving this look--and you know I love a good studded look--are the accessories. This dress needed a dangling necklace and a sleek, simple pair of shoes, not those boring black bracelets and awful orthopedic heels.


Valentino, Herve Leroux: This Valentino reminds me of the Oscar de la Renta. It's a very cute dress and a very sweet dress, but it seems a little off on her, especially against her faux-bowl cut. If she'd edged it out with a belt or some accessories it might work, but it looks a little plain and demure as it is now. The sheer panel at the neckline keeps it from being a total mess. Taylor Lautner looks fab though. This last look is my favorite. Her hair is gorgeous, the man candy is impeccable, and that dress is perfection. Even though it's very classic and Grecian, it suits her. The juxtaposition of the fitted, draped top against the sheer, flowing skirt is unexpected and dramatic, and she actually looks comfortable in it. Most of the time she looks awkward and out of place in glam, girly dresses, but here she's owning it and I think that makes a big difference.


Lastly, it really frustrates me that Kristen Stewart chopped of all her hair. Yes, I get that the black mullet is for the Joan Jett biopic, but seriously, girl couldn't wear a wig? I find that hard to believe. The worst part is that her real hair is SO PRETTY. I have epic hair envy every time I watch Twilight. It's full but not overwhelming, wavy but not too curly, dark but still rich and flattering. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND. Ugh. And all that black is seriously washing her out.


Image Sources:
All Kristen Stewart red carpet pics: nymag.com, Kristen Stewart long hair: makeupforlife.net, Kristen Stewart mullet: fabsugar.co.uk.

1 comment:

  1. i agree with you about kristen chopping her hair, but i think it showes her devotion to her charactors. Aside from kriten being amazingly beautiful i think she is an extrodenary actress. she it a roll modle to me and is truly inspiering. she makes me belive the charactors hat she plays as if they ere actually her. i am 15 years old and live in south africa and i think kriss is amazing

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails