Thursday, August 11, 2011

Haircare Faves

I'm in a serious hair mood right now.  I just dyed it, I've been pulling it back (shockhorror) and trimming my hairs and testing out new hair products and all that fun stuff.  That got me thinking about my hair routine and my favorite products and I realized that I have two products that I've actually been using for almost 2 years with 100% loyalty, so I thought I'd share them with y'all.

Aussie Moist Conditioner, about $5-$7 at the drugstore, Pantene Flowing Body Mousse, $2 at amazon.com: This is the only conditioner I buy (I hope they have it in Europe next semester...ack!).  You get a GIANT bottle, as in twice the size of a normal bottle, and it comes with this handy pump that saves you from pulling a muscle trying to squeeze out the last drops from a squeeze bottle of conditioner.  It's full of aloe vera, sea kelp, and jojoba oil to keep your hair nice and moisturized, and it smells just like coconuts!  Which I love.  I get compliments on the smell all the time.  But what I really love about this conditioner is that it works.  It's cheap, so I can slather on a lot, and it always moisturizes my dry ends without weighing them down or making them greasy.  I go through maybe three bottles of it a year, whereas I go through about 1 bottle of normal-sized conditioners a month and they're the same price, so this is a great value.  As for the mousse, I love this stuff.  I have Asian/Barbie-type hair.  What I mean by that is that I have really, really thick hair that has relatively thick (but not coarse) strands, is pretty much bone straight, and is very slippery and shiny.  Which sounds lovely, but shiny/slippery hair has no texture, which means the hairs lie flat on top of each other, which means I have no natural volume.  So I use this lovely mousse.  I spray an amount about the size of a large egg onto my palm, when comb it through the two side and back of my hair up by the roots (where my hair gets the flattest).  That's it!  I don't blow dry my hair, but I imagine that if you used this with a blow dryer you would get even better volume.  It's cheap, it smells yummy, it works and it doesn't leave any residue on my hair.  It's perfect!


In other hair news, I dyed my hair back to brown.  It was red for about 6-7 months, and I really did like it, but a friend brought up the very good point that I'm going abroad next semester.  I'll be looking at those pictures for FOREVER and probably forcing my children/grandchildren to look at them, etc, and I don't really want bright red hair in those.  So I went back to my trust Clairol Perfect 10 in Medium Golden Brown.  It's a very warm brown (probably warmer on me with all that red underneath it) and it makes my hair so, so shiny.  I actually have too much hair to dye with one box so I end up with the accidental ombre effect, and I realized that the ends of my hair that didn't have the dye on them ended up so much drier and duller than the parts of my hair that got dyed. So the dye makes my hair actually feel healthier.  Unexpected, but true.

ALSO!  I got my hair to curl!  I know that sounds boring/silly to everyone else, but again, I have Asian Barbie hair.  It does not hold a curl.  It laughs at curling irons.  But maybe the humidity helped because today I got bored and tried to curl it with my flat iron and it WORKED!  So there's a vastly unflattering but hilarious picture of my attempt at doing that.

Images via: amazon.com.

1 comment:

  1. We have that conditioner in the UK but not sure about Spain... I'm obsessed with the 3 Minute Miracle - the only thing that fixed my frazzled ends! Enjoy your semester abroad, I went to Cairo and Paris for a year as part of my degree and it was the best experience ever :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails