Monday, May 3, 2010

27 Dresses

I'm alive!  I promise.  It was a crazy weekend, but classes are over and I finally have time to breathe.

To start things off, here's a puppy in a leather bow tie.  You read that correctly.  A tiny poodle puppy in a leather bow tie.  If your heart didn't just melt, I'm not sure you have one.  And if that didn't do anything, look at the gorgeous Ashley Judd with a little arrangement of white orchids tucked into her hair.  It reminds me of something she did at the Oscars a while ago, and it still works.  She looks absolutely stunning and not at all cheesy or over the top.


Badgley Mischka, Kenneth Pool: The cut on this Badgley Mischka dress is so flattering, the way it hugs through the hips and then softly flares out at the thighs.  The contrast between the architectural lines of the bodice and the light layers of the skirt is so romantic, and that skirt would move so perfectly while dancing!  I usually shy away from exaggerated mermaid cuts, but there's something about this Kenneth Pool that makes me want to swoon.  That skirt is just so flouncy, and the half-bow at the top of the skirt gives it so much extra kick.  If you want drama on your wedding day, this is how to do it.



Kenneth Pool, Monique Lhuillier: This is a more traditional take on the previous dress, which I would normally completely detest (and the crystal details are a bit much for me), but that Glinda the Good Witch skirt just gets me.  I'm not a ballgown girl, but if I had to wear a ballgown, I would want to look like Glinda.  So ridiculously elegant.  Monique Lhuillier might be one of my favorite wedding dress designers ever.  She makes the prettiest of the pretty dresses, hands down.  The neckline on this dress annoys me, to be honest, but the way that the ruching in the bodice falls into the floral shapes on the skirt is so, so gorgeous.  The skirt would be almost too much with a plain top, but somehow with that bodice it makes perfect sense.



Monique Lhuillier: I feel like this is the Angelina Jolie of wedding dresses: sexy, simple, understated.  It's really just a well draped/ruched piece of fabric with an applique on the hip, but the fit is so sublime that it really works, even for such a dramatic occasion.  I would wear this in a heartbeat.  That slit is just high enough to be sexy, but not so high that it's too much for a wedding, and the slight train adds just a hint of glam.  I love how Monique touches on current trends in her dresses, like the lingerie trend in this second dress.  The bustier detailing in the bodice adds a lot of sex appeal, but is still really subtle, and the simplicity of the rest of the dress, combined with the innocent stripes on the skirt, balances out that boudoir vibe.


Bing Bang Tiny Heart Stud Earrings, $30 at shopbop.com, Daisy Knights Kim Oxidized Silver Skull Ring, $145 at net-a-porter.com: More tiny, awkward jewelry!  My favorite.  You guys all know my thing for offbeat little earrings, but for a cuter take on that same trend, here are these baby hear studs.  The fact that they're so small makes the heart shape much less saccharine sweet, and the sun-ray texture adds a lovely, organic vibe to the commercial shape.  But back on the tiny, awkward jewelry bandwagon, I love this weird skull ring.  The idea of a little, primitive, oxidized metal skull ring sounds mildly creepy and hardcore, but the oversized magenta eyes take it from weird to weirdly adorable immediately.




Image Sources:
Garance Dore pic: garancedore.fr, Ashley Judd: glamour.com, Badgley Mischka: nymag.com, Kenneth Pool: nymag.com, Monique Lhuillier: nymag.com, Bing Bang earrings: shopbop.com, Daisy Knights ring: net-a-porter.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails