Thursday, May 26, 2011

Review: MAC Harmony Blush

I have been looking for a good contour product FOREVER.  I do have cheekbones, but I also have a roundish face and they tend to get lost in my cheeks, so I am a perfect candidate for contouring.  For those of you that don't know, contouring is when you use a product in a shade that's a few shades deeper than your actual skin tone to create shadows on your face, usually under the jaw and cheekbones, along the temples and down the sides of the nose.  You want a matte, neutral shade because shimmer draws light to the part of the face you put it on, which makes that part of your face appear to protrude more--hence why using a shimmery product on the top of your cheekbones can make them seem more obvious.


The problem I've had is that I'm really pale, and most contour powders pull orange on me--heck, most foundation pulls orange on me.  Which makes me look like a clown.  Boo.  Pixi2woo, my favorite YouTube beauty blogger, uses MAC's powder blush in Harmony to contour all the time, and since she's pale(ish) like me, I had to try it.


I could not get a good picture of this.  It kept coming out darker and pinker than it actually is.  This picture is pretty true to life.  MAC describes it as a muted rose-beige brown matte blush, which you can get for $19.50 at maccosmetics.com.  On me it comes out as a medium, neutral-warm brown, and it's the perfect contouring color. It's extremely pigmented, but also blends easily, so you can layer for the effect you want (and to get it to work on darker skin tones).  On my oily skin it lasts all day and I only have to use a tiny bit, so this tin will last me forever.


I apply it with a skunk brush in the 3-shape on my face (under the jaw, around the side of the face to under the cheekbone, and around the temple to the sides of the forehead) and it gives my face a nice amount of structure and depth.


The packaging is standard MAC, decent quality and simple, and the product has no scent or SPF, so I don't think it'll irritate anyone's skin. You could probably use it as a bronzer if you're as pale as me, so it can go double duty.


Overall rating: A+.  It works perfectly as a contour without pulling orange on me, it lasts all day and applies easily, and I think it will work for range of skin types and skin tones.  It's not cheap, but it will last forever, so it's a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails