Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Met Gala 2011 Red Carpet

The Met Gala red carpet is always so consistently entertaining.  It's not as publicized as the Oscars or the Globes and it's based around a fashion exhibit, McQueen this year, so the red carpet is always full of daring fashion choices (and occasionally mistakes).  So without further ado, here are some of the more notable looks from last night's red carpet (and here's hoping that an extra-long post today makes up for a lack of postage yesterday!).


Michelle Monaghan, Jenna Lyons: This may be one of my favorite looks of the night.  It's very simple, but the pink is such a sassy hue and the fit is so spot on that it still manages to look red carpet appropriate.  Also I love an eye-skimming set of bangs with messy curls on anyone, and she is rocking it particularly well.  For those of you that don't know, Jenna Lyons is the creative director of J. Crew.  I love how consistent her style is with her brand's.  Pairing a big v-neck cashmere sweater with a diva-esque feathery skirt is such a J. Crew styling move.

Jessica Szohr, Hailee Steinfeld: Oh, Jessica Szohr.  This is not red carpet appropriate.  It's too short, the shoes are weird, and her hair looks bedraggled.  Ayayay.  On the other hand, Hailee looks adorable.  The dress is age appropriate, she looks so happy and fresh and young, and she's pulling off the short in front, long in back thing perfectly.


Isabel Lucas in Louis Vuitton, Jessica Stam in Tommy Hilfiger: I like the idea of this dress on Isabel Lucas, but what's going on with the headgear?  She looks like she's playing Cleopatra, no?  I like Jessica Stam's dress too.  It has a bit of a prom vibe, but with the hair style it goes a little too far over into the tween category for my taste.


Zoe Saldana in Calvin Klein, Karlie Kloss and Angela Lindvall: Zoe does simple and chic so well.  The yellow is such an unexpected but flattering choice, and I like the bright hue against the simple dress.  Ugh.  Models.  These two look like complete Amazons in these floor-length metallic gowns.  Hating my life a little right now.


Kristen Stewart in Proenza Schouler, Serena Williams in Oscar de la Renta:  Kristen Stewart looks miserable.  I would too in that dress.  It's not flattering, the pattern is odd, and...it's just really not flattering.  I guess Serena Williams had fun watching the royal wedding!  Look at that voluminous skirt and that fascinator hat.  At least she looks like she's having fun.


Christina Ricci in Zac Posen, Miranda Kerr in Marchesa: I almost want to talk about how Christina Ricci looks ridiculous, but I can't hate on someone who can confidently rock a dress that looks like it's made out of spider webs.  That dress isn't wearing her.  Can we just talk about the fact that Miranda Kerr had a baby like 3 months ago?  RIDICULOUS.  She could be wearing a trash bag and I would give her props for being out and about and looking so fab.


Gisele in McQueen, Diane Kruger in Jason Wu: This is another of my favorite looks of the night.  Although it's been proven that Gisele can work a potato sack, she looks insanely fab in this McQueen gown.  I love the combination of the vibrant red with the simple bodices and then the BAM impact of the voluminous, Gone with the Wind type skirt.  I WANT TO BE WEARING THIS.  Also her date isn't half bad either.  Diane Kruger can really do no wrong.  The slit is a little high, but the full coverage top balances that out.  I love that the bodice has a pattern like a Klimpt painting.  So retro-glam.


Michelle Williams in Miu Miu, Lea Michele: I actually really like this Miu Miu dress.  The cut is simple but flattering, the metallic birds are a fun, whimsical touch, and I like that she kept the rest of her look simple.  Well played.  I feel like this is the fourth or fifth time that Lea Michele has worn a badly fitted, boring taffeta dress, and it gets worse every time.  Love her hair though.


Ginnifer Goodwin, Leighton Meester in Louis Vuitton: Ginnifer Goodwin is looking fierce!  The dress is a fantastic color for her, the cutouts are fun and sexy without being too revealing, and I love the long sleeves with the thigh-high slit.  Ok.  I love Leighton Meester.  I think she is gorgeous and she is the best part of Gossip Girl.  But this dress is not a winner.  It's not flattering cut or length, and it looks like she's wearing a basket.

Emma Stone, Amy Poehler in J Mendel: Emma Stone ftw!  Love another natural blonde who dyes her hair red (like me!).  I really like this dress on her.  It fits very well and the shape is flattering, and the clean lines work nicely with the graphic floral print.  Maybe a little more bling would have been nice, though?  Oh, Amy Poehler.  Who did this to you?  I love her to death.  She is so, so funny and accomplished.  But the poodle fro is not flattering on anyone, and the dress is a little on the schlumpy side.

Freida Pinto in Chanel, Dakota Fanning in Valentino: Huh.  Just huh.  Freida Pinto is clearly one of the prettiest people ever, but this dress isn't doing her any favors.  It looks a little '90s, and not in a good way.  How adorable is Dakota's dress?!  I absolutely love it.  It's cute and whimsical but not too over the top.  Originally I thought her makeup was seriously lacking, but I saw another picture and it's definitely the lighting to blame.

Ashley Greene in Donna Karen, Hamish Bowles in Alexander McQueen: I think this is great styling on Ashley Greene's part.  The dress is lovely and princessy, and makes her look gorgeous and ethereal without distracting too much from how pretty she is.  She definitely beats Kristen here.  I think Hamish Bowles' ensemble sums up the entire event.  That is straight up McQueen.


Rihanna in Stella McCartney, Gwenyth Paltrow in Stella McCartney: I actually really like Rihanna's hair here.  I'm a sucker for red hair (obviously!) and braids.  The dress is pretty, a little more subdued than usual from her, which is nice.  Gwenyth has done this look a lot, but if you can manage to consistently pull out looking like a fabulously glam FemBot, I can't help but admire you.


Andre Leon Talley, Blake Lively in Chanel: Oh, Andre.  I don't really think there's anything to say.  As for Blake Lively, I am LOVING the new strawberry blonde hair color (it's not as apparent here, but it is actually red).  The dress is interesting.  I like the idea of the corseted dress under the drapey fabric but it's been done to death and it's not particularly flattering.  I just want to rip off the draped part.  And Karl...oh Karl.


All images via nymag.com.

4 comments:

  1. "I feel like this is the fourth or fifth time that Lea Michele has worn a badly fitted, boring taffeta dress, and it gets worse every time."

    THANK YOU. No one else will say this. And I think it and then wonder if I'm nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG YES i thought i was crazy too. glad to know someone else is in the club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lea Michele makes poor, poor choices. If she gets the hair and makeup right, the dress is wrong. If she gets the dress right, her hair and makeup are a trainwreck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha oh I always love your commentary... the models showed the celebs how to work a dress! I love Christina Ricci because she's a petite thing like me and she gives me hope that I can wear a full dress like that haha

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails