Friday, July 15, 2011

Tribute to Hermione Granger

I'm freaking out a little about the last Harry Potter film.  But more on that in a bit.  First a piece of randomness.

I picked this up at Paper Source yesterday.  It's technically a piece of wrapping paper, but I got it to hang on my wall because it was wayyyy too cute to be ripped apart while someone opens a present.  It's an old school map of Paris, and it was about $4.  If you wanted to go all out with your affordable wall art, you could get a couple different ones of these and frame them (Paper Source also had some really adorable London-themed ones).


On another note, I'm seeing Harry Potter tomorrow night and I am SO PUMPED.  I know this sounds melodramatic, but that series was actually my childhood.  The first one came out when I was six, and I literally spent ages 6-16 reading the books, watching the movies, waiting for new books to come out every summer.  Plus Hermione was kind of my role model--the slightly awkward smarty pants who none-the-less still gets to be girly and kind of badass.  Also she has my awkward brownish-blonde natural hair color, so I have to love her for that.  I broke down and I'm rewatching a lot of the movies in preparation (since I left the books at home, sad face), and thought I'd share with y'all how I'd dress up as Hermione to go see the movie.


Now, my thing with dressing up for movies is that I like to interpret the character's looks, not go in a full-out costume.  So Hermione's uniform is the pleated skirt, flats, grey v-neck sweater, and then Gryffindor accessories.  


J. Crew Merino V-neck Sweater, $59.50 at jcrew.com, Miu Miu Pleated Wool-blend Mini Skirt, $565 at net-a-porter.com: The grey sweater is easy enough to work around.  I'd do this incarnation from J. Crew because it's nice and fitted, so it doesn't feel frumpy, and it's just the right length, not too long or too short.  I'd pair it with this Miu Miu mini skirt.  The pleated skirt is a little harder to work with.  You don't want to go too literal and have it actually look like a school uniform (high school flashback.  Ack), which is why I like that this one is black and short.  It has a little bit more of a grown-up vibe to it.  The fitted sweater and pleated mini combo has the same bones as Hermione's uniform, it's just a little sexier.


Forever 21 Asian Inspiration Necklace, $8.80 at forever21.com, Tory Burch Nappa Leather Reva Ballet Flats, $195 at shopbop.com: As for accessories, I like the gold and red Forever 21 necklace.  It has the Gryffindor colors, which is fab, and a bit of an exotic vibe that I think Hermione would appreciate.  Plus the pop of color helps take the outfit out of drab, school uniform territory and gives it a fun twist.  I'd do this simple pair of ballet flats to cap it all off.  Boots or heels with a skirt that short can be a little much, and I think Hermione would do a clean but cute shoe like this pair.


Have any of y'all seen the movie?  What did you think?


Images via shopbop.com, net-a-porter.com, jcrew.com, forever21.com.

2 comments:

  1. Harry Potter is AMAZING! I went to see it last night, you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so great! I saw it twice already :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails