Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Channeling Mad Men

I came to the realization today that I need more big girl work clothes.  Like sheath dresses and pencil skirts.  Those things scare me.  But it had to be done.  So I went into Anne Taylor Loft today (I know, I know, but they have cute work clothes) and picked up a pencil skirt and some other basics.  I felt very old.  It was weird.

Anne Taylor Loft Sateen Straight Skirt, $49.50 at loft.com, Schutz Open Toe Nubuck Pumps, $152.60 at shopbop.com: So I picked up this skirt today.  It's really much cuter in person.  It's a medium grey with a little bit of a sheen, it has a little stretch, it's a nice length, and it's comfy.  My only issue with it is that it's built for someone with a little boy's torso.  Seriously.  Straight up and down.  I dropped it off at the tailor today to get almost 6 inches taken out of the waist.  Yeesh.  Anyways, I've been thinking of cute little outfits to wear around this skirt.  I'd add these mauve platforms.  They're neutral enough to be work appropriate, but the color is still a little offbeat, and the platform makes them comfy.  Plus the suede texture adds visual interest.


Anne Taylor Loft 3/4 Sleeve Crew Neck Cardigan, $39.50 at loft.com, Anne Taylor Loft Rib Tank, $7.25 at loft.com: Obviously if you're going the retro, pencil skirt, Mad Men route, you have to have a little cropped cardigan.  I picked this up today too, and I really like it.  The sleeves are nice and fitted, and it actually hits me at the waist, which makes for a much more flattering cut.  The black and the slate from the skirt play together nicely.  For a pop of color, I'd do this coral tank.  It's fitted and simple, so it'll fall cleanly under the cardigan, and the pretty pink is sweet and feminine, but not too much to wear to the office.


Anne Taylor Loft Braided Jeans Belt, $39.50 at loft.com, Adia Kibur Jumbo Pretzel Necklace, $48 at shopbop.com: To highlight the waist even more (can you ever do that enough?), I like this braided belt.  The black keeps it from being too over the top, and the rustic, braided texture adds a slightly earthy twist to the ensemble.  Lastly, I'd finish it off with a piece of statement jewelry.  This twisted, knotted necklace gives the outfit a quirky vibe.  It's a little offbeat, but not so much that you can't wear it to work, and the gold would be lovely with the pink tank.


Images via shopbop.com, loft.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails