Wednesday, March 24, 2010

NYC Trip Day #3: Soho

Today we decided to go back to Soho to hit up Topshop and Uniqlo...again. You need to make more than one trip to each of those stores to fully comprehend what's going on there, especially at Topshop.

So. Topshop. I don't even know where to start. I mean, it's utter amazingness. The quality is a bit higher than at Forever 21 or H&M, but so are the prices. It's a little overpriced, but I think the real culprit there is the exchange rate. Everything's probably really affordable in the UK, but a lot less in the US. As for the clothes themselves...I love. They manage to tap into the eclectic, 'English' aesthetic that we really don't see a lot of in the US, and while a lot of the items are designer 'inspired,' they do have a lot of original pieces, including their Topshop Unique line stashed away in one corner. The accessories department was a little small, but the shoes were SO hot. I mean, there's no way I'm paying $300 for shoes that trendy, but they had some really fierce shoes. I ended up trying on a ton of little dresses and one really fab blush oversized cardigan studded with little pearl-esque beads, but walked out empty-handed. Which means that I obviously need to make a return trip sometime soon.

After that we meandered on over to Bloomingdales for some froyo at Forty Carrots (delish), and then we made our way over to Uniqlo. I. Love. Uniqlo. I loved it for the main part of the store, which is stocked with minimalist basics in every shape, size, and color. The quality is a little higher than H&M, but the prices are similar. You could build an entire wardrobe from their basics. But then I found the Jil Sander for Uniqlo section (it's literally a whole room), and I died. I don't really like Jil Sander's line (it's a little too stark and minimalist for me), but the J+ line at Uniqlo is jaw-dropping. It was all in shades of navy, khaki, black, and a taupey green, with anoraks, trenches, skirts, and pants in every color, all in a nylon-esque fabric. If you want to get into the anorak trend for next Fall, go to Uniqlo. They're all pretty affordable, but they look really expensive. My mom and I left with the same trench (we do this all the time. I think it's hilarious) in different colors. I got it in navy (I know it looks black, but it's a lovely, rich navy). It feels like a Burberry trench in a thin but warm cotton-blend that seems pretty water-proof. The cut is so classic, with the full a-line body, and while it's not lined it has all the little details, like leather buckles at the waist and sleeves and a ton of extra buttons. The funny thing is, I tried it on in navy, which is my go-to basic color, and the first thing I thought was "does it come in black?" Before September, I would have never bought anything in black aside from the occasional LBD, and now it's my new favorite color (or lack thereof...hehe). But I'm glad that I got the navy. It's more refreshing than black, and I honestly feel like a spy while wearing it. Very Jennifer Garner in Alias. That last pic is of a giant blow-up rat in Soho, right by the Chanel boutique. Oh, the irony. I'm sure Karl would love that.


NARS Orgasm Illuminator, $29 at sephora.com, Marc by Marc Jacobs Splashes in: Biscotti, $69 for 10 oz. at sephora.com, and Apple, $69 for 10 oz. at sephora.com: I popped into a (gigantic!) Sephora today, and finally got to try out the NARS Orgasm Illuminator. I have the Multiple in Orgasm, and it always goes on a little red on me, so I wanted to see if the Illuminator would work out better because it's such a lovely shade. Well. I'm stumped. The base is a really pretty rosey gold with a subtle sheen, which would be a nice blush/highlighter combo on someone as pale as me, but then there's all this chunky gold shimmer on top that literally makes it look like the circus attacked your face. I'm fine with shimmer on my cheeks, but glitter? No way. I also tried the other two Marc Jacobs splashes, the Biscotti and the Apple. The notes in Biscotti are: freesia, bergamot, orange blossom, pistachio blossom, and vanilla. I think this is a really interesting scent, and it really reminds me of Dior's Hypnotic Poison and Thierry Mugler's Alien. It has the same plastic, synthetic, Playdoh note that's both nostalgic and off-putting at the same time. The other notes surround the plastic in white florals and almondy loveliness, but when you get to the dry down, it's all Playdoh. Interesting, but not for me. Apple, on the other hand, is vibrant and juicy. It reminds me more of a cucumber than an apple, very green and aquatic, with a hint of white florals and some zesty citrus. I could totally wear this throughout the spring--it's light and inoffensive, and not at all generic. The notes in Apple are: apple zest, lemon and grapefruit combined with rosemary, jasmine, magnolia, coriander, and cardamom.


The Craft Pantry totes: Keep Calm and Carry On, $20 at etsy.com, Vintage Typewriter, $20 at etsy.com, Royal Bulldog, $20 at etsy.com: Etsy is such a goldmine for screen-printed things like these. The Craft Pantry has a ton of large totes printed with quirky, vintage-inspired prints. My favorites are 'Keep Calm and Carry On' (look familiar? It's from a WWII British propaganda poster and one of my favorite prints ever), this vintage typewriter, which would be great and adorably ironic for carrying around a laptop or books, and this crowned bulldog, just because it's hilariously cheeky.


Image Sources:
NARS Illuminator: sephora.com, Marc Jacobs splashes: Biscotti: sephora.com, Apple: sephora.com, The Craft Pantry totes: etsy.com, etsy.com, etsy.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails