Monday, January 9, 2012

Review: Remington Pearl Ceramic Conical Wand

I'm in a constant battle with my hair.  I want it dark brown, it wants to be blonde, I want it curly/wavy, it wants to be stick straight.  I yell at the bathroom mirror a lot.  It's fun.  I've tried curling irons, curling with straighteners, putting my hair in a bun and braids, and nothing seems to work.  My hair does not hold a curl AT ALL.  I heard a lot of buzz about conical wands on YouTube--they're like curling irons without the clamp, so they don't leave that awkward kink in your hair.  I found one at Ulta for just $30, so I figured it was worth a try!


Remington TStudio Large Pearl Ceramic Styling Wand, $29.99 at ulta.com: First off, it's pink!  I love pink.  I got the large one, which is 1" at the top and 1.5" at the base.  It comes with a heat-protectant glove to keep you from burning your fingers (it works, I'm too lazy to use it) and the cord swivels around the base of the wand so you don't get all tangled in it when you're trying to curl your hair.  It has 3 buttons, one to turn it on and off (you have to hold it down for about 5 seconds to turn it on, which took me like half an hour to figure out of course), one to raise the temperature and one to lower it, which you hold down for a few seconds to lock the temperature where you have it.  It heats up from the low 300 degrees F to 410 degrees F.  There are about 5 heat settings between 300 and 410 degrees, so you can't have the temperature exactly wherever you want, but you do get a good number of options.  It heats up to 410 degrees for me in about 2 minutes (it tells you on the little LED screen when it's done warming up).  The smoothness of the barrel gives my hair a really nice, smooth finish, and my hair doesn't snag on it like it does on curling irons and straighteners.  In terms of how it functions in general, I think this is a really well designed tool.  I literally have no complaints about it.  It works really, really well, especially for a $30 product.  I've seen $150 conical wands that do the same thing, but at 5x the price.  It comes in a smaller size if you want a tighter curl, you can adjust the temperature for different hair types, and once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to use.  I'm in love with it.  To hear about how I use this little guy, keep reading!


Using the conical wand is kind of like riding a bike.  It takes some time to get the hang of, but once you get it, it's really easy to work with.  I hold the wand upside down, with the skinny end pointing towards the ground.  That way I can slide the curl off easily and the curl is looser at the top and tighter towards the bottom.  I take 1-2" sections of hair and wrap them around the conical wand from top to bottom, making sure to wrap the hair away from my face (you get a prettier curl), and then I hold it there for 10-15 seconds.  I have very thick, straight hair, so I use high heat and hold the curl for a while, but if you have thinner/finer hair you may not have to hold it as long.  Then I release the curl and let it fall into my hand so that it cools while still curled up (this helps the curl keep its shape).  Continue that around the whole head!  If you want a tighter curl, use a smaller section of hair and the skinnier end of the conical wand.  If you want a looser curl, use a larger section of hair on the wider half of the wand.  Then I run my fingers through my hair or brush it out to get the curls to meld together, and spritz on a little hair spray. Even without the hairspray, my curls last all day!  Given that my hair usually doesn't curl at all and if it does, that curl is gone in an hour, I'm pretty over the moon about this conical wand.   I know it sounds easy to use, but I really recommend watching some YouTube videos before you break it out.  I like this video from Pixi2Woo.  Play with it, figure out what size curl works for you, and you will LOVE this conical wand.  Promise.  Here are two pictures of my hair after I used the wand:


Awkward Chic rating: A+.  I LOVE THIS CONICAL WAND Y'ALL.  It's easy to use, it's cheap, and it actually works.  I couldn't ask for anything more.  If you buy one, make sure you get an American one.  Most of the ones I found were from the UK, and they need converters and adapters to work here, which is just a pain.


Image via amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails