Friday, September 11, 2009

Spring/Summer 2010 Fashion Week Round-up #1

Fashion show, fashion show, fashion show at lunch! (Office, anyone?) It's fashion week! Even though it's really fashion month. Doesn't quite have the same ring to it, I guess. Whatever. I still love fashion week. It's the only legitimate excuse I have to cuddle in bed with my laptop and look at runway pictures for hours. I know, I'm exciting. Anyways, here are my favorite looks from day one.

Prabal Gurung, Prabal Gurung, Organic by John Patrick: I'm liking this Prabal Gurung guy. He kinda of came out of left field, but he's quickly becoming one of my new favorite designers. I mean, he can do immpeccable structure, like this dress on the left, and perfect draping, like this Greek goddess dress on the right. I love the way the cutaway on the skirt echoes the soft, asymmetrical sleeve, and the way those feathers poke out of the bottom of the skirt is so organic and yet unexpected. I die. And I mean, is there really anything better than a draped, Grecian column gown? I think not. The soft, slight boat-neck/off the shoulder sleeves give it a slightly more modern edge. I'm really feeling thigh-high socks this year, and when paired with a sweet, babydoll-ish dress they have a bit of a Lolita vibe.


Monique Lhuillier, Monique Lhuillier, Wayne: Even Monique Lhuillier is cutting back this year. No ball gowns! None! But there were still tons of yummy column gowns. The subtle black tiers on this first gown add just the right amount of subtle detail for visual interest, but don't interfere with the all out glamor of that gold neckline. Now if the stylist had just forgotten about that fedora...Now, this red jersey dress would be absolutely perfect for the red carpet. It's so statuesque. The asymmetrical sleeves are on trend, the burnt orange shade is striking, the draping is so flattering and luxurious, and the rope tie at the waist adds an unexpected dose of chic. I have no idea who Wayne is, but I'm loving this ruched t-shirt dress/motorcycle jacket combination. It looks comfy, edgy, and casually sexy, all at the same time. Plus, the grey on grey palette is absolutely killing me.


Jen Kao, BCBG, BCBG: A pink and grey bustier printed t-shirt dress? I'm all over it. The color combination is soft and romantic, but the body-con fit and trompe l'oeil lingerie make it anything but sweet. You don't even need to accessorize this! It's perfect all on its own. And last but not least, there's BCBG, which I was actually kind of impressed with this time around. Just take this purple dress for example. The sheer panels, body-con fit, and asymmetrical ruching have a serious Alexander Wang/'80s vibe, but when done in a bright violet hue it all feels fresh. Plus, the placement of those panels is just perfect, really. And look at the all out glam of this black gown. The way it hangs off the shoulder, how the neckline mirrors the line of the hem, the way the back of the skirt moves on the runway...I die. I just die.


Image Sources:
Prabal Gurung: style.com, Organic by John Patrick: style.com, Monique Lhuillier: style.com, Wayne: style.com, Jen Kao: style.com, BCBG: style.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails